Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "[font:Comic Sans MS]The things that we love tell us what we are.[/font][/size]"
    Thomas Aquinas
    philosopher, theologian
    1225-1274

This quote, although more than 700 years old, brings to mind the multipotentiality of gifted youth.
    Just a few of many good articles:
    - When I Grow Up: Multipotentiality and Gifted Youth (IEA, March 2015)
    - Good at Too Many Things? (Byrdseed)
    - Nurturing multiple interests & multipotentiality in gifted students (Davidson, NAGC, 2017)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    [size:8pt]Quote citations, as provided by BrainyQuote:

APA Style Citation
    Thomas Aquinas Quotes. (n.d.). BrainyQuote.com. Retrieved July 30, 2018, from BrainyQuote.com Web site: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/thomas_aquinas_186901

Chicago Style Citation
    Thomas Aquinas Quotes. BrainyQuote.com, Xplore Inc, 2018. https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/thomas_aquinas_186901, accessed July 30, 2018.

MLA Style Citation
    "Thomas Aquinas Quotes." BrainyQuote.com. Xplore Inc, 2018. 30 July 2018. https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/thomas_aquinas_186901

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
    perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears,
    however measured or far away.
    "

-Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862)

This calls to mind that gifted kids can vary considerably from their chronological age peers, in reaching milestones.

Here is a roundup of common Behavior characteristics and early milestones which may indicate giftedness:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....p_of_traits_is_my_baby_o.html#Post248478

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Adding a link to a great quote, in a thread's OP: Children need free time to find their passions
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    "The child is father to the man," poet William Wordsworth wrote in 1802.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign;
    that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
    "

- Jonathan Swift, author, Gulliver's Travels

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    [on her parents] They raised all of us to listen to what we think our calling is and then do it. Do it. And do it well. With a sense of purpose.
    My mother would say to me, "You can't eat beauty. It doesn't feed you." And these words plagued and bothered me; I didn't really understand them until finally I realized that beauty was not a thing that I could acquire or consume, it was something that I just had to be. And what my mother meant when she said you can't eat beauty was that you can't rely on how you look to sustain you. What does sustain us... what is fundamentally beautiful is compassion for yourself and for those around you. That kind of beauty enflames the heart and enchants the soul.
    - actress Lupita Nyong'o

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    "I am happy because I am growing daily and I am honestly not knowing where the limit lies. To be certain, every day there can be a revelation or a new discovery. I treasure the memory of the past misfortunes. It has added more to my bank of fortitude."

~ Bruce Lee
    Martial artist
    1940-1973

Source: AZ Quotes, Bruce Lee, page 10 of 20

Discussing and valuing past mistakes can be role-modeled, especially for gifted children who may feel pressure to perform, and may therefore develop a fear of being wrong, subsequently exhibiting procrastination and perfectionism... stunting their growth through risk avoidance.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Grouping kids by age for instruction makes about as much pedagogical sense as grouping them by height!
    ~Deborah Ruf

How do we justify an educational system that ignores competence and achievement, and utilizes chronological age as the primary, or only, factor in student placement?
    – Miraca Gross, 2012

Source: Hoagies' Gifted Education Page, Gifted Education Quotes

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The starfish story.
    “Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"
    The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean.
    As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one.”
    - as found on good reads. "The Star Thrower" from THE UNEXPECTED UNIVERSE by Loren Eiseley.

Links:
    - https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/56782.Loren_Eiseley
    - https://web.archive.org/web/2020*/https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/56782.Loren_Eiseley
    - https://www.eiseley.org/
    - https://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Universe-Loren-C-Eiseley/dp/0544313143
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loren_Eiseley

The starfish story calls to mind the arduous and daunting process of advocacy...
    making a difference for one gifted student at a time.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The following excerpt may resonate with many gifted persons. It is from the book Once and Future King by T.H. White.

Originally Posted by brief excerpt from T.H. White, "The Once And Future King"
    “The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin... "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”
    (Wikipedia provides a synopsis of the book, Goodreads provides several interesting and thought-provoking quotes.)

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM