Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    And all I can say is that I am so glad he will also be spending his afternoons in the 1st grade class as well. Sometimes I forgot how different DS5 and when he gets near his peers it is painfully obvious. Our orientation had 4 students in it, including DS. The teacher asked each child to find their name--all the kids were successful. Then she asked them to sit with a parent a fill out a little hand with 5 questions (Birthday, favorite color, hobby, pets, favorite food). DS5 read the whole thing himself and printed out all his own answers. I helped him by telling him that there were two Ls in the word yellow and that he could abbreviate the word December for his birthday. Handwriting was really good too (I was a little surprise since he hates to write). The other 3 children were no where close to my son. One wrote the letters as her mom spelled and the other two children wrote their name only. The parent did the rest after it was clear the kids couldn't write letters.

When the kids looked around the room DS5 read EVERY word in the room. The teacher looked over at his as he read off the big list of sight words on a poster board. She said, "Oh, he knows ALL the sight words already?" I felt quite embarrassed as the other parents looked at my son. The teacher also told everyone that the reading program starts after January. After the other parents were leaving I did give the teacher a copy of his test results and we discussed the transition of him physically getting to the 1st grade class each day when K ends.

Then we went up to the 1st grade class. The teacher was very welcoming. DS5 even was excited to see a child who was in his summer camp program this summer. The teacher introduced DS5 to the rest of the class stating that starting next Monday he would be coming to the class every day starting at 11am. The other kids look interested and everyone smiled at him. I also found out that when he gets to the class the only major thing he would have missed in the morning was the reading groups. The first thing he would do on arrival to class would be math.

My son is really looking forward to going back on Monday. Please cross your fingers for us. I truly want to make this public school attempt successful.

Crisc
    I'm pulling for him! (And for you!)

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm thinking of you guys and hoping for good things! smile

Kriston
    I hope it works out beautifully!

Crisc, it sounds like a good plan to me. And I don't think he's missing much by missing reading groups. It's a great sign that he's enthusiastic smile

I have my fingers crossed for you!

Yippee!
    I have a good feeling on this one!
    Grin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Sounds Exciting!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM