Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi, I know there is a MAGE facebook group but I am weary of joining that publicly given the name of the group. Anyone know of a more private group?

Also anyone on the northshore?
    Thanks,Amy

DD9
    DS7
    I
    I
    I do not have a group for you, but wanted to support your efforts in looking for a support group. I believe you are wise to choose a group other than Massachusetts Association for Gifted Education (MAGE), which is a State Affiliate of the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC).

While State Affiliate groups may have lists of local testers, etc, which may be more complete than the lists on Hoagies Gifted Education Page, the overall focus of NAGC State Affiliate organizations may be support to public school teachers, and encouraging parents to lobby for more funding.

SENG (Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted) offers online support groups and webinars in popular topics of interest to gifted adults and parents of gifted children. There are also SENG Model Parent Groups (SMPG) which typically meet weekly for 8-10 weeks and are structured like a book club discussing themes from A Parent’s Guide to Gifted Children, by James T. Webb, Janet L. Gore, Edward Amend, and Arlene DeVries. Some groups are free to join and are led by parents with BTDT experience, some groups have a fee to join and may be run by professional psychologists in private practice, and some may be run by local public school psychologists. Parents may want to ask questions about privacy, confidentiality, data collection, etc, before joining.

O
    O
    Hello, I am curious if you found an answer to your question? We are also in the Boston-metro area, and could benefit from some additional location-specific information.

Thanks!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    A bit late (we've been busy! LOL) but no, I am still looking for support for the MA area. It baffles me a bit to not have found something or for there to be not much action on the regions forum on this site for MA.

DD9
    DS7
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You may find the 2019 report linked in the second paragraph of this page of interest regarding MA gifted education:

http://www.doe.mass.edu/bese/councils/gifted.html

Short version: not much exists in MA. But there may be some contacts that you can try reaching out to at the model districts profiled.

My commentary: there's a lot of competition from private prep schools for the MG population in MA, which likely drains a lot of GT advocacy efforts away from public schools.

You might, however, find that involving yourself in the meetings listed on the above MA DESE page provides an avenue for advocacy.

Last edited by aeh; 10/13/20 12:38 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    I'd love a Massachusetts support group for adults! I live in Brookline.

Where is everyone else from?

Last edited by acgoldis; 04/10/21 09:59 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM