Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    H
    HighIQ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    A week ago, I contacted the school district that I went to as a high school student and asked for my gifted and talented testing results. I never received a reply. I asked for the results two years ago and I still didn't get a reply. Are they hiding something from me? I'm beginning to believe that they're hiding the fact that it was the teacher "recommendation" letter that didn't get me in. Why are they treating me like garbage? They apparently hate me possibly out of jealousy.

Their gifted and talented program is pretty mediocre since it has students that cheat too much for higher grades and are toxic. Most of them aren't going to top universities like me. It's so pathetic.

Last edited by HighIQ; 04/01/21 09:25 PM.
    I
    I
    I have no answers, but a few questions to consider. You don't need to reply, these are just some points to think about.

1) Have you read FERPA?
    For example:
    https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html
    Originally Posted by FERPA online information
    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies.
    The following may help to manage your expectations as to what the law considers a reasonable time frame. One week may be too soon to expect a reply containing documents responsive to your request. (However, many organizations/institutions may send a reply stating that they have received your request.)
    - https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2006/stu_privacy/annual.asp
    Originally Posted by FERPA online information
    When parents (or eligible students) request to review their records, the education institution must respond within 45 days, even if these records are kept by an outside party acting for the school. During these 45 days, the education institution cannot destroy any of the requested records.
    - https://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2006805

2) Note that the 45 days mentioned would typically consist of BUSINESS DAYS, and would therefore exclude weekends, national holidays, and any days the school office is closed for business (such as Spring Break). Using a date calculator such as https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/ would further help you manage your expectations as to the date by which the school district would reply.

3) What media format was your request, and do you have proof of your request?
    For example, these may be best:
    - email with date/timestamp and read receipt -or- auto-reply acknowledgement?
    - paper letter with USPS tracking confirming delivery?
    These may be somewhat less helpful:
    - online request form, with screen print?
    - phone call with hand-jotted notes of date/time and person(s) spoken with?

4) To whom did you send your request?
    For example, School District Superintendent, records custodian, school board members, high school principal, high school guidance office?

5) Did you read your school district website, for any policy/procedure statements which may apply?

6) Might you consider making a repeat request, ensuring you have proof of your request, possibly citing FERPA's 45 day requirement?
    For example:
    I attended XYZ district, XXXX school from 20xx-20xx, graduating 20xx as salutatorian. Consistent with FERPA (link) and school district policy (link), I am requesting assess to review (or copies of) my school records, including (IQ test results, eligibility for gifted/talented program, teacher recommendations) and any other. I understand that you are allowed 45 business days to provide these records (or access to these records), and anticipate hearing from you by MM/DD/YY. Thank you for your time.

7) Might you consider seeking/finding legal advice and assistance, either pro bono or professionally?
    For example, https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home/flh-free-legal-help/

H
    HighIQ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    This is so ridiculous.

I contacted them through the contact us page with my email address. I was hoping that the email would go to the right person. I didn't want to contact my school as I don't really want to contact them directly anymore. I have a terrible history with them. They, including teachers and administration, always ignore my emails for some reason. They don't like me at all.

I might as well give up on this if they don't send me a reply. It doesn't matter anyway.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Instead of writing an email and hoping for the best, you should call the district office on the phone and ask to speak to someone about getting a copy of your school records. Then follow the instructions that person gives you.

I wouldn't take a school district ignoring emails personally. Folks at my kids' school district used to ignore my emails as well if they were about things like GT testing and contained specific questions about results or decisions--and these were people I knew well. I finally decided that the reason they did that is that they didn't want to have a paper trail on certain subjects.

So, if you are really curious, a pleasant phone call and going through proper channels will very likely make a huge difference.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by HighIQ
    This is so ridiculous.
    Yes, this is often called "red tape," and "government bureaucracy." Also ridiculous red tape. You nailed it!

I contacted them through the contact us page with my email address. I was hoping that the email would go to the right person.
    While some institutions and organizations may provide contact forms for convenience and efficiency, ensuring that all needed information is collected in the initial communication, unfortunately others may provide contact forms as a means of increasing the likelihood that requesters will not have the needed documentation available for any future follow-up.

... ignore my emails ...
    In general, organizations and institutions may choose to respond to only those communications which:
    - they see as providing a potential benefit to themselves,
    - they are required to respond to, according to law.
    Requests for student records would require a response, but possibly only if the request was made in a manner which would be conducive to future follow-up and enforcement, holding them accountable to prove they were compliant.

I might as well give up on this if they don't send me a reply. It doesn't matter anyway.
    Only you can "pick your battles." Only you can decide what it is worth to you to receive your student records, and therefore what resources you want to dedicate to this project (in terms of time, thought, effort, research, communication, organization, record-keeping, future follow-up, and possibly money).

= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

Three things to keep in mind going forward, as they may apply to many situations:

1) It is worthwhile to learn how things work:
    - what your rights and responsibilities are,
    - what the other party's rights and responsibilities are,
    - what laws, policies, procedures and practices apply.
    Investigating this will help to manage your expectations, and will also help you to manage others' expectations.

2) When communicating with an organization or institution, it is wise to be brief, positive, focused and on-topic.
    Avoid "kitchen-sinking," complaining, or airing grievances.

3) For each project, keep a "paper trail."
    For example, this may be a box or drawer with manila file folders, a tabbed ring binder, an old-fashioned IN/OUT basket on a desk, or any other system which keeps your documentation organized for ease of future follow-up.

= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

I
    I
    Wow, Kai, that sounds ideal. To be able to call the school district and have a person answer, and give instructions... rather than all incoming calls going to voice mail message and being screened, while providing outgoing message to callers to check the school district website for information.

School districts may vary considerably in their size, friendliness, sophistication, and responsiveness. Locally, the government schools are highly insular. One quickly (or eventually) learns that they must know their rights or the district is not likely to be compliant.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Wow, Kai, that sounds ideal. To be able to call the school district and have a person answer, and give instructions... rather than all incoming calls going to voice mail message and being screened, while providing outgoing message to callers to check the school district website for information.

School districts may vary considerably in their size, friendliness, sophistication, and responsiveness. Locally, the government schools are highly insular. One quickly (or eventually) learns that they must know their rights or the district is not likely to be compliant.

True. But I do think it helps to start there. I'd normally suggest actually walking into the district office because it's harder to ignore an actual human standing in front of you, but the pandemic makes that option less desirable.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Kai
    I'd normally suggest actually walking into the district office because it's harder to ignore an actual human standing in front of you, but the pandemic makes that option less desirable.
    Again, districts may vary considerably. I'm familiar with:
    - a locked school district office building,
    - visitor must have an appointment,
    - visitor rings the doorbell and waits for intercom reply,
    - visitor states their appointment and waits for verification of appointment and confirmation of visual identification via security camera,
    - door may then be unlocked to admit identified visitor with verified appointment.

Possibly this process acknowledges that it would be harder for district personnel to ignore an actual human standing in front of them, therefore policy and procedure have been established to keep district personnel in control of any potential in-person interactions.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Again, districts may vary considerably. I'm familiar with:
    - a locked school district office building,
    - visitor must have an appointment,
    - visitor rings the doorbell and waits for intercom reply,
    - visitor states their appointment and waits for verification of appointment and confirmation of visual identification via security camera,
    - door may then be unlocked to admit identified visitor with verified appointment.

Possibly this process acknowledges that it would be harder for district personnel to ignore an actual human standing in front of them, therefore policy and procedure have been established to keep district personnel in control of any potential in-person interactions.

I believe I acknowledged that districts vary. My point is that assuming there is some sort of conspiracy because someone at the district didn't answer an email is ridiculous. If the OP is serious about getting the records, it would be best to try a different approach. I merely suggested some approaches that have worked better than email in my district. There would be no harm in trying the things I've suggested, especially if the OP's district is of small or medium size.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Kai
    I believe I acknowledged that districts vary.
    Yes, you acknowledged that districts vary in saying, "True. But..." which may come across as setting the differences aside (as though negating that the differences among districts matters) when it comes to channels and options for approaching one's district and initiating a request.

Originally Posted by Kai
    My point is that assuming there is some sort of conspiracy because someone at the district didn't answer an email is ridiculous.
    I tend to agree that a district not answering any one single email does not point to a conspiracy.

Originally Posted by Kai
    ... it would be best to try a different approach. I merely suggested some approaches that have worked better than email in my district.
    Suggesting a different approach, especially one which has worked for you in the past, is great. That sharing of experience is largely why these forums exist.

It is also important to share MY experiences, which are different than yours. The compare/contrast between your experiences with your district and my experiences with my district is not intended to illicit an defensive response from you. Rather, reading of this broad range of norms and experiences may help to manage the OP's expectations.

If their district (like mine) is less open to a "pleasant phone call" and "walking into the district office" than yours is... and if "going through proper channels" consists of their recommendation to utilize the "contact us" form on their website, then hopefully the OP will not take the district's response (or lack of response) personally once they understand that districts operate differently.

Originally Posted by Kai
    There would be no harm in trying the things I've suggested, especially if the OP's district is of small or medium size.
    School district size may be one factor to consider. Other factors may include the school district's friendliness, sophistication, responsiveness, and whether it is highly insular or tends to be compliant. There is no harm in trying these approaches as long as the OP manages their expectations that different approaches work (or don't work) with different districts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM