Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #248421 03/27/21 03:43 PM
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    HighIQ, a few thoughts on this post:
    Originally Posted by HighIQ
    Someone leaked the last question of the WAIS-IV matrix reasoning test to me, and I got it correct easily. If I can get the last question on the WAIS-IV, then I should be able to easily get the WISC-V last matrix reasoning test question correct since the kids test should be easier than the adult test.

I don't plan on taking the WAIS-IV since I know that I would easily get the maximum FSIQ and GAI and it's expensive.
    1. I am answering in a new thread to avoid encouraging your highjacking of another member's thread, whose topic was Discrepancy between FRI & WMI.

2. It is unethical for someone to leak a question of an IQ test, such as the final question of the WAIS-IV Matrix Reasoning subtest.

3. Easily answering the final question of the WAIS-IV Matrix Reasoning subtest only indicates that a person had answered that particular item correctly. It does not indicate that:
    - all answers given within the Matrix Reasoning subtest would have been correct,
    ..(I believe the discontinue rule is: after 3 consecutive missed.)
    - all answers to the various Perceptual Reasoning Subtests would've been correct,
    - all items on all other subtests of the WAIS-IV assessment would've been answered correctly.

4. If an adult is believed to have answered a particular item on the Adult Intelligence Scale correctly, it does not follow logically that they would've answered a similar subtest question correctly on an Intelligence Scale for Children, years ago. An IQ test is a snapshot, taken on a particular day. Even after IQ scores tend to stabilize (around the age of 8 years old, 3rd grade) IQ scores are most accurately given as a range, not as a single number.

5. Intellectual profiles are rarely even with matching scores in all areas measured. Instead, scores typically show areas of strength and also areas of relative weakness. One does not typically get a max FSIQ and GAI. Instead, the General Ability Index (GAI) is calculated only when certain subtest scores may be seen as bringing the Full Scale IQ (FSIQ) down.
    Links:
    - https://images.pearsonclinical.com/images/Products/Wechsler/Wechsler_GAI.pdf
    - https://images.pearsonclinical.com/images/assets/WISC-IV/80720_WISCIV_Hr_r4.pdf
    - https://sciencing.com/calculate-gai-wisc-8505182.html

6. As your posts have indicated a strong ongoing interest in approximating your IQ, and the IQ of others, the money spent on taking the WAIS-IV may be money well spent to set your mind at ease.

H
    H
    This person shared it with me on a Discord server made for people who are obsessed with IQ. I joined that server, because I was very depressed about my intelligence and I wanted to prove to myself that I'm actually intelligent. I've since left that server due to the idiocy shown and I don't wish to associate myself with people who waste their time taking online IQ tests to flaunt their supposed intelligence.

I agree that it's unethical to share test questions from official IQ tests, but I had no control over their behavior.

The WAIS-IV Matrix reasoning test may not have its questions ordered in increasing difficulty, but I feel that the test is pretty easy considering the last question.

I don't see the need to have my IQ officially tested. The results probably wouldn't be very accurate since I took a lot of online IQ tests that are very similar to the questions on the WAIS-IV. Instead, I've already estimated my IQ to be above 155 since I know this person who has taken a lot of online IQ tests and has done the WAIS test with the score of 155 and I outscored him on a couple of the online IQ tests. I believe this proves that I'm the better problem solver. I'd rather take something like the MAT to test my knowledge in trivia and maybe qualify myself for the Prometheus Society.

I'll be returning to college this summer to further prove that my intelligence outdoes those of others. This is the only thing that will give me satisfaction.

Last edited by HighIQ; 03/27/21 06:54 PM.
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    ... to further prove that my intelligence outdoes those of others. This is the only thing that will give me satisfaction.

Please consider re-reading your various threads and members' reply posts. You may see that several members have provided answers which shared their accumulated knowledge base and years of experience in the form of advice and guidance: You may be choosing a wayward, self-defeating path which works against long-term happiness, healthy self-esteem, and good mental hygiene.

By contrast, identifying and focusing on one's own calling, strengths, interests, and passion projects (independent from reference to relative achievement in comparison with others, their accomplishments, accolades, awards, recognition, and/or perceived shortcomings) provides positive guideposts of personal growth in success, stability, and genuine self: authenticity.

H
    H
    Comparing yourself to others can lead to self-improvement. You win competitions by comparing yourself to your competition and improving with respect to the performances of your competition.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Comparing yourself to others can lead to self-improvement. You win competitions by comparing yourself to your competition and improving with respect to the performances of your competition.

While comparing one's self with others can lead to self-improvement, that may tend to occur in an overall context of resilience and stability in the face of feedback, maintaining good sportsmanship with dignity for all persons, and score-keeping grounded in facts (such as learning one's IQ score rather than guessing at it), not while posting extremes ranging from highs (such as belief in one's superiority and accomplishments with ease, while labeling others as losers or idiots) to lows (such as fearing a future full of failures and staying a loser forever, thinking no one ever agrees with your ideas or opinions, believing you are dismissed as an idiot, and that insults are a huge impediment to your ultimate goals).

While a competitor may win a competition by studying the performance of other competitors, there are significant differences between a competition and everyday life. For example:
    - persons consent to a competition and register to enter,
    - competitions are limited by boundaries such as specified dates/times, places, and skills,
    - persons are aware that they will be competing,
    - persons are aware of when and where they will be competing,
    - persons are aware of what skills they will be competing on.
    Competition entered into by mutual consent, with understanding of and agreement to the boundaries, is different than someone unilaterally declaring competition on unsuspecting persons in everyday life, with a personal goal of gathering evidence that their own intelligence outshines the intelligence of others, and stating a belief that nothing other than gathering this evidence and proving this point will satisfy them.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM