Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Here's a concrete example for math that could have been adopted in English-language classrooms (other languages might be available; I didn't look.) This is a plug-and-play Singapore Math curriculum that could be used in grade 3-5 distance learning classes. The program is expanding down to grades 1-2 this year.

Aquinas (or anyone else),

Are you aware of other comparable video resources to cover language arts or other subject areas? We've been using Generation Genius at home as a science resource and it's been wonderful. Generation Genius is also going to start offering video math lessons. If I knew of solid curricula (accompanied by video instruction) for language arts and social studies it might shift my calculus on whether it's possible to homeschool the early grades while working. It's not that I want to farm out all the instruction, but it would be nice to be able to have pockets of time where my child could watch something and I could concentrate and then we could meet back up on the lesson afterwards. We've been using the book version of Singapore's Dimensions Math at home and I'm very happy with it. It would be nice if the materials cross-referenced to common core standards for each subject area because I would prefer to ensure she could drop back into a typical classroom in a future year without having gaps in the material everyone else had encountered.

M
    M
    There are live classes with Michael Clay Thompson on Royal Fireworks? Not a cheap option.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    nessy.com is an excellent OG-based reading & writing online self-paced curriculum family with skills through the end of elementary school (K-5 reading, 1-6 spelling). It has the bonus feature of having been developed in the UK, so the original version can be used by our friends in Commonwealth countries. (When I first looked at it a few years back, it was in British English only.)

If we are talking specifically about filling instructional gaps as we emerge from COVID, then Nessy would be a good option for language arts foundations.

And there's also Reading Horizons/Elevate. Also an online OG reading intervention (I'm listing mostly OG reading programs because why not pick something that works for almost all learners?).

Lexia has a number of online, self-paced, evidence-based programs for K-5 reading.

Last edited by aeh; 03/25/21 06:26 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi oj - you might want to look into the Johns Hopkins online course catalogue for CTY. Online courses are offered starting for grade 2:

https://cty.jhu.edu/online/courses/index.html

Back with more replies for other posters soon!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh
    ...develop or validate new educationally-relevant tools

On that note, I came across an interesting sounding Canadian learning platform that received seed funding recently! It's very much akin to a scalable AOPS + Alcumus model. Think: Shopify ecommerce capabilities + connected communities + Google Classroom.

https://betakit.com/virtual-live-learning-platform-disco-raises-6-million-cad-seed-round/

aeh, if your teachers are interested, Disco just finished its beta test and is taking a waitlist for its early adopters.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Oj - also, re: Dimensions, I suspect the curriculum maps pretty closely to the other Singapore Math products, one of which is tied to Common Core. If video instruction is a key part of the value for you, I suspect you can get away with using the CC edition and still carve out that expected time for your own work.

PS. If ever you'd like to PM me, this past year has been much what you describe - DS enrolled virtually in his usual brick and mortar school with me working and co-teaching. We're previous full-time homeschoolers, as well.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    There's a Dimensions Math-CC scope and sequence crosswalk:
    https://www.singaporemath.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/CCSS_to_DMK-4.pdf

On a quick scan, I saw negligible differences on a year-over-year basis.

Last edited by aeh; 03/26/21 09:34 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    happy to read your idea. keep us up to date with your awesome information.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM