Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Mission Impossible to the library went pretty well on Saturday! I really wanted to post back to add to the category of well illustrated, myth and poetry-infused books:

http://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-Makes-Sandwich-Adam-Rex/dp/0152057668

Does 'mythological' apply to monsters? I am not sure, but this book is the first one DS8 grabbed from the pile and after he read it in sheer delight, he said 'You should really read this it is sooooo funny', so I dutifully picked it up.
    It is hilarious.

These are all poems about various monsters having modern day dilemmas - the writing is great and funny funny funny. The illustrations are so brilliant too, with visual puns and little writings here and there!

We also got another book of poems by Jack Prelutsky ('a Pizza the size of the Sun') which ds has also been enjoying. And some books on Norse and Greek myths. I am holding off on some of the other suggestions to give ds more options later in the year.
    Thanks again everyone!!

Isn't it great when you can read & discuss the same books with them?

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    How about the Wayside School series by Louis Sachar? DS started reading these when he was 5. He has read and re-read them many times. "Holes" by the same author is very good too. There's also a movie on it. Another good, old classic I can think of is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.

To add: DS loves the "Choose your own adventure" series too. We are very lucky that we managed to find these in the library (even though they were torn and tattered!). When DS8 didn't know what else to read back in grade one, his teacher recommended him the Encyclopedia Brown books... which he found in the libraries too and devoured all of them! wink

Last edited by S-T; 09/07/08 06:23 AM.
    Mia Offline
    Oooh, KG just started the Encyclopedia Brown books! He really likes them.

Does your ds have any other non-fiction interests? Some kids are just drawn to those. The DK Eyewitness books really are great, and there are a ton of topics. Or you could try some of the picture-heavy books aimed at adults -- space, weather, etc. KG *loves* his "Restless Skies" book!

If he's interested in mythology, D'Aulaire's mythology books are fabulous; they're oversized with great illustrations. I used to love the Greek one when I was that age, and she has several more:

http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Gre...mp;s=books&qid=1220801065&sr=1-1

Glad the trip went well!

Mia
    My dd8 loved 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret' by Selznick and 'Kids' WHODUNITS' BY Hy Conrad.

Has anyone else picked up the Einstein Anderson series of books? DS8 loved those books last year. The books are a collection of short (3-4 page) stories where a boy (maybe 5th or 6th grade) uses science to outsmart his opponent (sometimes a bully) or to solve a mystery. They present you with the clues and then you get to turn the page and see if you guessed how Einstein solved the problem. Very fun!

Other books that DS has read recently:
    1) My Side of the Mountain series: about a boy who goes off and lives by himself in the New England mountains and learns survival techniques. Very non-scary, but for the boy who loves being out in the woods.
    2) Wrinkle in Time series: We are in the middle of book 3, although Harry Potter and Guardians of Ga'hoole have sidetracked us a bit.
    3) Flight of the Dragon Kyn, and Dragon Milk by Susan Fletcher. Anything with Dragons has to be cool!
    4) The Mistmantle Chronicles, Book 1 is Urchin of the Riding Star
    5) Poppy and Rye and similar books by Avi. Animals (mice, porcupines, etc. must form friendships in order to overcome an obstacle-an owl who hunts them)

I will probably let him start reading the Brian Jacques books soon (Redwall, etc.) Does anyone have any experience with these?

I would like to offer my profound thanks to the person who suggested the Mad Misadventures of Emmaline and Rubberbones books by Howard Whitehouse. DS just read The Strictest School in the World, Being a Tale of a Clever Girl, a Rubber Boy and a Collection of Flying Machines, Mostly Broken. He absolutely loved it!! grin

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    acs Offline
    If he likes silly poems, you might want to check out Polka Bats and Octopus Slacks by Calef Brown.

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    I am so excited just reading all these recommendations! And the good news is... most of the books are avail in the library. smile Thank you!!!
    I am quite sure DS will like the Einstein Anderson stories because he likes anything that he can solve. He tends to look for all the books in the same series and tries to finish all of them! Another "older" series I missed out earlier were "Clue" books.

B
    B
    Polka Bats and Octapus Slacks has been a favorite of ours for years!

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    Austin - is it the Mad Scientist Club?

THATS IT!!

Thanks, its been bugging me all weekend.

Those stories are a hoot and a half!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mad_Scientists'_Club

The Mad Scientists' Club books build their plot devices around science, mechanical inclination, a do it yourself ethic, and some good-natured pranks, making the boys in these books sort of junior precursors to MacGyver - or a fictional counterpart to the real-life Rocket Boys. The early stories and the first book in the series were published in the wake of the impact of Sputnik and the space race and reflect the thinking of that period (the first book even includes a plug for joining the United States Air Force in the last story, "Night Rescue"). There is one odd, inexplicable exception to the usually science-based, non-supernatural nature of the stories, and that is "Big Chief Rainmaker" in the second book. The level of technology found in these books is of course "low-tech" by today's standards with no home computers or miniaturized electronics, but the technology depicted in the books (scuba, ham radio, helicopters, remotely radio-controlled devices) was, at the time, typical of the cutting edge of technology during the post-WWII, pre-Internet era.

Last edited by Austin; 09/07/08 09:37 PM.
    LOL, we have Polka Bats too. My kids memorized Eliza's Pockets (dd 8) and Snails (ds 11) for their memory pieces when trying out for a play this summer. We had a ton of fun with those!

My son started reading Redwall books at age six. They have great vocabulary and the violence is minimal, though most are about battles between the good creatures and the bad . Mice, badgers, and hares are good, weasels, rats, and foxes are evil...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM