Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    ebeth - The Gravity Keeper sounds GREAT for DS! I just added it to my Amazon cart. I tried to combine it w/ an open order I placed YESTERDAY and AMazon said the 2 orders are coming from different centers so I can't combine them. Darn it lol.

Do you have any other recommendation I should add to my cart to get Super Saving Shipping?

Cackling out of control...

For the life of me I cannot recall a series of books I read when I was 7 about a group of kids in a small town who use science to get into some wild, hilarious adventures - a sort of johnny quest meets Huck Finn.

One story has them building a flying saucer out of balsa and fabric that goes out of control and terrorizes the town. It was so funny I laughed so hard that I threw up.

--

But I do recall reading this series when I was 9 and liked it. In the 5th grade our teacher started reading it to us - and I had already read it - so she let me read it aloud. I remember waking up one night during a storm and looking outside and seeing a water tower in the rain shafts and lightening and thought it was a Tripod!!!!

If they can handle Harry Potter, then they will like and be able to deal with this. There are a few scenes where major characters sacrifice themselves for their friends and I do remember crying over this.

I have not read the book put out in 1988, but the others are good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tripods

Austin - is it the Mad Scientist Club?

C
    C
    My DS7 who reads very well but limits his reading selections to video game manuals has recently become very interested in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. He loves them. He is now working on his own series! (Well... he has the titles of the books ready anyway!) I am reading them along with him and I really like them. He also liked Bunnicula (someone else mentioned that earlier in the thread.)

Do you have any other recommendation I should add to my cart to get Super Saving Shipping?

Hmmmm... I'll have to think for a while. I'll get back to you!

I did notice that the same author, Michael Reisman, is coming out with a sequel to the Gravity Keeper in Feb 2009. It is called The Octopus Effect, and seems to be the biology equivalent of the Gravity Keeper. It looks very, very fun!! smile

I had not bumped into this author before. I don't know if this is his first book or not, but I will have to keep an eye out for him.

http://www.michaelreisman.com/index.php?page=home

Hey Dottie! Where did you get an AR score for this book? I was just guessing, based on a book that I had never read. LOL! Sorry about missing the AR score by 0.1. Ouch! I looked it up on Scholastic Books and it was not in their system, as far as I could tell. Do you have some secret web site for book info that you have been holding out on us? grin

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    S
    S
    Here's the AR site we use:

http://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx. And, here's another cool site:

http://www.bookadventure.org/.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Sounds interesting, but AR (Acclerated Reader) only puts it at level 4.9, which I think makes it .1 lower than DS's lower limit, cry . Of course he can read it just for fun, but we have to start the year off playing the points game.

Ahh, the wonders of edumacation. <groan>

Val

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Here's where I always check...

http://www.renlearn.com/store/quiz_home.asp#quicksearch

Now if only my school had access to everything I find there, cry . The school doesn't have the test anyway, so it's a moot point for us.

Dottie, GS9 has been able to access anything we find on that site. Any idea why some schools don't have full access?

I usually use RenLearn and Scholastic for reading levels.

OP Offline
    Mission Impossible to the library went pretty well on Saturday! I really wanted to post back to add to the category of well illustrated, myth and poetry-infused books:

http://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-Makes-Sandwich-Adam-Rex/dp/0152057668

Does 'mythological' apply to monsters? I am not sure, but this book is the first one DS8 grabbed from the pile and after he read it in sheer delight, he said 'You should really read this it is sooooo funny', so I dutifully picked it up.
    It is hilarious.
    These are all poems about various monsters having modern day dilemmas - the writing is great and funny funny funny. The illustrations are so brilliant too, with visual puns and little writings here and there!

We also got another book of poems by Jack Prelutsky ('a Pizza the size of the Sun') which ds has also been enjoying. And some books on Norse and Greek myths. I am holding off on some of the other suggestions to give ds more options later in the year.
    Thanks again everyone!!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM