Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    W
    We had to do a private eval at 2 for an HG preschool in NYC. Then she had to do an IQ test for Hunter elementary in NYC, then we had to do something for CTY, I think. Then I we had to do one for Toronto school system gifted, then she did the SSAT for admittance for her current school. After she got a high enough score on the SSAT, then did another test and interview for 2nd stage. For all the IQ tests, they were all in the same range +/- 2 points. Never had to wait. Either in NYC or Toronto. You can find someone. Do you have to pay? Yes, but in my mind, if you don't get your hair cut for a year, or not go out for dinner, you can pay for it.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Wren, you've crossed the border and seen some of the high performing schools in NYC and the gifted / private world in Toronto. What's your take on how the politics and ideology around giftedness in the two countries play out in the schools, if at all? Did one system serve your DD better? I'd value hearing your thinking!

Really, that question doesn't have to be just for wren. Anyone who has experience with more than one education system probably has some interesting insight into how the different methods benefited (or didn't) the students.

I've been a culture-bound parent in Canada, so what perspective I have on other countries' models is gleaned second-hand. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM