Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    DD/DYS is 15 and a junior in HS. Trying to get her engaged in the college search process is like pulling teeth. Her practice SAT test results on Khan Academy are mediocre (less then when she took the SAT in 7th grade), and she asks why she should care. She complains that she will end up working the rest of her life in a boring job so what is the point? On the other hand, she does have a 4.0 GPA which includes 4 AP classes.

Some facts- DD was diagnosed with social anxiety and depression which we know is adversely affecting her judgement. She also struggles with ADHD inattentive type resulting in low EQ.

The question is – what about college? She has no interest in living in a dorm, and we are fine with that. As she is young, we are planning on a gap year during which she will hopefully intern if Covid winds down. But next Fall is the application period for college, and it does not appear she is even ready for that situation. How do colleges view students who don’t apply their senior year? Or do we bypass the application and just plan on her attending community college for 2 years and then applying to a four year? She hates school already so I am not sure she will find community college any better. If anyone has more imaginative ideas, we would be grateful.

W
    W
    does she have any passions? Any particular interests? If not, perhaps it is necessary to pursue some stuff to find something that sparks her interest in studying it further.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It might be helpful to remember that a lot of people do not apply to university straight out of secondary school, for a wide range of reasons. And she has done essentially nothing but school for her whole life. One of the luxuries of graduating from high school early is that she has the time to stretch and release the tension of fitting into whatever it is about school that currently doesn't align with who she is. In her case, developing a wider and more effective repertoire for managing her mental health would seem to be an obvious focus for that time (not that that isn't a focus right now, of course!), and then secondly, formulating some version of her mid- and long-term goals, which includes exploring her passions and joys. She'll go into college (if that turns out to be the appropriate next step) with a clearer vision, focus, and motivation for that stage of her life, which will come across in her college applications and interviews.

I would say that not applying to college of any description is a perfectly legitimate short-term post-secondary plan--as long as there is some kind of plan for that time. E.g., if you want to spend the time deciding if your passion for painting is something to pursue seriously, then good. Take six months to a year to paint and see where it leads. But that requires thoughtful use of that time to actually do something. Or learn a skill that you've always wanted to try, even if you're not thinking seriously about it as a career. It will still be good for refreshing your outlook on learning--and, one hopes, fun. Or if you just need to de-stress and clear your head, then find a low-demand part-time job (to keep some routine and intentionality in the week, and also for some resources to do the parts of de-stressing that require money), and use the rest of each week to re-connect with friends, build healthy habits, etc.

And then around November or December (when college apps start being due), you and DD agree to re-group and re-assess where things are. And again in the spring. And naturally, she can reconvene the discussion at any time, if she feels like she's already gained more clarity, or wants to bounce thoughts off you. If the discussion toward the latter end of the gap year is leaning toward not-college (at least at this time), then at least you'll be having a conversation with a young adult (or nearly so) with some more varied experiences in hand, rather than a middle teen trying to manage stress during a pandemic!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    You've received great advice above. I'll just add that when identifying and exploring passions and areas of interest, if it may be useful for your daughter to create some goals and structure, both for accountability and as a reminder to herself of her thoughts and progress throughout the process, the Congressional Award for youth may prove helpful.

https://www.congressionalaward.org/

W
    W
    has anyone done the congressional award?

I
    I
    Hi Wren, I've known some who've earned/achieved the top level of Congressional Award for youth, the Congressional Award Gold Medal.

Here is an old post: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ce_Counselors_Advisors_C.html#Post176143

The Congressional Award website lists 478 Gold Medals awarded in 2020:
    https://www.congressionalaward.org/national-events/gold-medal-events/2020-gold-medalists/

This is the partial list (not final) of those designated to be 2021 recipients:
    https://www.congressionalaward.org/national-events/gold-medal-events/2021-gold-medalists/

F
    F
    I hope, it can help for everybody working on this.

W
    W
    thanks for the references.

I
    I
    A few more ideas... resources which may help a student begin to look forward toward college and career... and feel confident, well-prepared for next steps... are found in this old post:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....one_homeschooling_creati.html#Post230377

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM