Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #247813 12/09/20 03:38 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi

I am new poster and am looking for some help with analysing some SCAT scores for my daughter.

She took the elementary SCAT test as a third grader.

Her scores were verbal 41/50 with a scaled score of 448 and quantitative 48/50 with a scaled score of 469.

The only percentile information I have is benchmarked against other third graders who also took the SCAT. Does anyone know where I might be able to compare her percentiles against the normed population for the test?

Thank you.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

Your best source of information is likely the normative information provided by CTY, especially since it is their intellectual property, so not much is available outside of them. I did find one research article that cited some of their 1999 normative data, which indicates that the mean score obtained for 3rd graders (on the elementary level of the test--which would have been administered to typical grades 3-5 for in-level testing, and by CTY to 2nd and 3rd graders for out-of-level testing) was 23.6 and 20.9 for verbal and quantitative, respectively. For 5th graders (which are the group CTY uses as a comparison), those mean scores were 31.5 and 29.7.

As the standard deviations were not listed, it is not possible to derive the percentiles that you are seeking. (For 3rd grade.) According to the CTY website, the percentiles you received should be the 5th grade percentiles.

Based on what you have reported, it appears your DC is quite good at quantitative thinking, as that is approaching the ceiling of the elementary level. And obviously not too shabby at verbal thinking either!

General caveat on grade-level norms here: these were published in 1999, so they are at least 20 years old, and thus likely to be subject to norm obsolescence for the use for which they were originally developed. CTY's internal data on their use for identifying students likely to be successful in their programming for advanced learners is much more current, and thus likely to be more useful.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    S
    Very happy to be part of this discussion. I looked at sample papers for SCAT testing for my 3rd graders and found limited information. On the CTY website, I found this.
    Elementary Level
    Verbal Range = 401-471
    Quantitative Range = 412-475

So how many questions does a student need to get correct to be in this range? Can someone help me understand?

Also - any tips or sites to find any sample papers to work with for practicing. Please post it here.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM