Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi everyone! I'm a long-time lurker, so I'm a little nervous about making this post! I just need some help processing these figures.

So I'm a bit shocked. I knew I was intelligent, but I surround myself with highly intelligent people, many of whom I consider smarter than me, so I figured I had found my "strata", if you will, at around +2 standard deviations. But these numbers are just far above what I would have guessed, even at my most egotistical. For context, I am a 17-yr-old high school student.

WAIS-IV

FSIQ - 148 - 99.9th percentile - Very Superior
    GAI - 154 - >99.9th percentile - Very Superior

VCI - 150
    Similarities - 19
    Vocabulary - 19
    Information - 19

PRI - 133
    Matrix Reasoning - 18
    Visual Puzzles - 14
    Figure Weights - 15

WMI - 148
    Digit Span - 19
    Arithmetic - 18

PSI - 117
    Symbol Search - 17
    Coding - 9

What do I do with this information, other than feel good about myself? I'm extremely lazy, and often feel disconnected from my friends/peers, even ones with whom I would say I have a good relationship with. It feels like I can't ever break in to their inner lives. How can I improve myself? I fear that I will bask in my "potential" but never do anything of substance.

I notice two irregularities in the data. I score 17 on symbol search, but 9 on coding. What can I make of that? Also, I seem to have a slight dip in the PRI subtests. I have always grasped most math and sciences pretty easily, but I just hate computer science, and other overly formalized logical classes. They just seem so mousy, like its a little box people create for themselves to be smart inside of, while ignoring more pressing problems. Can anyone shed light on whether or not this makes sense given the scores?

I hate to come off as boastful, and I really do sound SUPER pretentious reading this back, but I really am looking for guidance.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome, Blizzard!

I responded to most of your specific questions backchannel, but others may have insight as well.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    I think I've told others this on here before, but my top piece of advice for people in your situation is to start doing original work (original research, creative work, etc.). There's no ceiling on that, like there is on most classwork. A lot of the problems that people in your range experience with regard to class difficulty, "potential," "laziness," etc. have to do with the fact that school is an environment with a lot of ceilings on it that you will usually exceed, and that gives you an incorrect idea about what work/effort means. So I recommend finding things that don't have that kind of artificial ceiling so you can learn what putting effort in feels like.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you for your advice pinewood11. I already have an outlet much like that in music, but I'd probably want to find something more academic to delve deeply into as well. The issues arise with my noticeable lack of follow-through, which is something I guess I can work on over time. I do have specific interests that would lend themselves to independent study, but I've been spread thin for several years like many high school students, so ideally, college would be a time for me to start to pursue those interests with more focus, but I also need to work on my discipline. Not sure where to start there.

E
    Online Content
    E
    Originally Posted by pinewood1
    I think I've told others this on here before, but my top piece of advice for people in your situation is to start doing original work (original research, creative work, etc.). There's no ceiling on that, like there is on most classwork. A lot of the problems that people in your range experience with regard to class difficulty, "potential," "laziness," etc. have to do with the fact that school is an environment with a lot of ceilings on it that you will usually exceed, and that gives you an incorrect idea about what work/effort means. So I recommend finding things that don't have that kind of artificial ceiling so you can learn what putting effort in feels like.
    Great advice!

E
    Online Content
    E
    Following pinewood1’s comments, it’s not just in school, but also in the workplace, it can be frustrating for EG/PG individuals to encounter colleagues and administrators (of average intellect with experience of a single narrow business model and little to no understanding of the organic mechanisms in the area they supposedly manage) who have great difficulty comprehending what seems obvious (to the EG/PG who has spent years developing expertise in their chosen field) as the best way forward.

This post is not meant to be discouraging, but a prewarning that with a high IQ, an individual will likely find it easier to understand organic mechanisms and therefore become more frustrated when having to negotiate with individuals who are slower, or may never be able, to reach the same level of comprehension, but such encounters are almost inevitable. Therefore, it is great advice from pinewood1 to find area(s) which you are really interested in and enjoy, and start to explore them deeply and broadly. Hopefully, if you become well engaged and an expert in your chosen field, you will be well/better equiped to negotiate the administrative aspects of your future career. In other words, those who possess the greater intellect will often have the burden of carrying others (in ways acceptable to them), so laziness and remaining disconnected often aren’t options, if one wants to move forward.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM