Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Y
    Y
    Yes ! You’re right ! It’s more like extra work for gifted and advanced kids in her class!
    And yes, he is HG student ! But I’m thinking he needs this accelerated math!
    otherwise he has nothing to do in a regular math class!
    That’s why I want him to get into the IHP program at Walter Reed ,I think it will be good for him! But, still we have one more year!

YanaZ.
    Y
    Y
    And thanks for this video 👍🏻

YanaZ.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Minor Third
    Just wanted to thank everyone who responded with all the helpful suggestions and resources. It seems my posts are taking many days to appear after I submit them, so I'm not able to reply in a back-and-forth discussion, but I really appreciate the info so far.

The first posts are held and checked so there is a delay. I have been coming here 7 years and have never seen spam so it seems to work.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    AEH, Thanks for the clarification regarding MAP 2-5 vs 6+.

I just wanted to update. Since the Covid-19 disaster struck, I signed my daughter up for the AOPS prealgebra 1 self-paced course. She has been loving the format and thriving on the material. What a change from what she was getting in school!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Great to hear you and she have found a good solution to math for now!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    D
    D
    The URL https://community.nwea.org/docs/DOC-1486 no longer seems to work; it seems NWEA completely reorganized their website with the 2020 update.

I'd like to know of those who have taken CTY classes - how does the NWEA MAP Test compare to the SCAT test necessary for those?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    NWEA recently released updated norms, so a new collection of guidance documents should be in the offing. In the meantime, this alignment of math RIT scores to Common Core skills by grade level may be of interest. It was developed in conjunction with Khan Academy, which has a collaborative for using MAP scores to route to practice exercises, much like their arrangement with the SATs:

https://cdn.nwea.org/docs/MAP+Growth+Grades+6%2B+to+Khan+Academy.pdf

These are the new norms, which generally find that student achievement has declined a bit:

https://teach.mapnwea.org/impl/MAPGrowthNormativeDataOverview.pdf
    https://teach.mapnwea.org/impl/NormsTables.pdf

Here's a linking study from TX on algebra end-of-course predictions based on NWEA MAP:

https://www.nwea.org/content/uploads/2020/07/TX-EOC-MAP-Growth-Linking-Study-Report-2020-07-24.pdf
    (concluded that RIT 240 was approximately equivalent to algebra I proficiency)

And user norms for high school math courses:
    https://teach.mapnwea.org/impl/CSNormsOverview.pdf
    Check the 50th %ile for spring for an approximation of end-of-course expected RIT.

Last edited by aeh; 10/12/20 07:43 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    N
    My son has been mostly enjoying AOPS pre-algebra this year. He enjoys the weekly class and the alcumus/challenge problems and can complete them all each week. He hasn’t gotten into looking in the text book at all, and has preferred going back to the beast academy style comics instead. He is still on the younger side, so perhaps he’s just not as ready for a more academic setting.

I have been extremely impressed with the content of the course and the thought provoking questions that AOPS creates. So thankful for everyone who suggested Beast/AOPS for mathy kids! It has been such a blessing to find fun math. I was initially surprised by the delivery mechanism of the class...basically a message board, but it is actually quite effective for the lessons.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM