Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #247605 09/25/20 02:17 PM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    So E has had another major cognitive leap 😳 but is still super shy around strangers and won't talk around them. At most they get a very soft "hi" or "bye bye" but I think that's more her age than anything as we don't leave the house often she's not used to being around people other than immediate family.

She turned 18 months old this month and has started mimicking alphabet sounds. Not phonetically but if the ABC song pops up on her kiddie playlist she'll actually stand still and try and mimic the inflection. 😂 I'm more shocked at the standing still part than I am the mimicking at this point she is a spirtied kiddo and wants to go go go all the time!

She has recently started dragging around a set of tactile alphabet cards I bought on a whim as she loves sensory things and I figured she'd like the sandpaper fill.

We've been sticking to bare bones basics the letters A B and C and 1,2,3 just to see how it goes and have been reading to her a ton.

If feel like half the reason I can't get anything done is she's constantly dragging books off the shelf and bringing them to me. She sits through about two pages before she steals her book and and starts flipping pages randomly but it's too adorable to get upset over.

I feel like I should know when she makes a leap it's going to be big by now but every single time it gets me.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for or common "leaps" I should be aware are coming? because this girl is far from ordinary and I'm soaking it up.

It was mentioned on my other post to not be surprised if she was actually reading instead of just mimicking the motions. Thankfully we have a TON of kiddie books so I just let her have at it when it comes to those but we shall see if she surprises me again.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    So cute!

Well, I'm sure you've heard that if you've seen one gifted kid, you've seen one gifted kid.

I found with my own kiddos that there were cognitive leaps, and then there were also temperamental (I think) styles. One of mine would appear to be one very small step from mastering a new skill for a while, but then appear to be "stuck" there for a bit, and then suddenly skip over a number of steps to a new level--which you would think would be a cognitive leap, and yet I sometimes wondered if it was actually more of a manifestation of perfectionism, or perhaps a kind of simultaneous cognitive processing, where all of the components of a skill needed to be mastered (internally, or "underground") before the full skill was demonstrated. I suppose it depends on how one defines cognitive leap.

And in terms of the exact leaps? It could be anything. That's kind of the point! Toddlers usually do develop new skills in fits and starts (much like their little food jags), so she's going to do that, only more so.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    I really agree with AEH, my kids could all very much be described as "leapers" but each in their own ways...

H
    OP Offline
    H
    😂 that's kind of what I was expecting but I was holding out a small amount of hope for a pattern.

I have noticed right before her "big" leaps she seems stuck for a couple of days.

She popped out with counting 1-5 two days ago. 😳 I knew papaw had started working on 1-3 with her during their breakfast in the morning and he swears he didn't add 4 or 5 yet but that's 50/50 on if he actually did or not. He's been known to hold onto "jokes" to long.

This is the man that had me convinced the meat to fat ratio on ground beef was meat to bone ratio and NEVER told me that he was lying and I didn't find out until I was a teenager that it wasn't meat to bone ratio. 😳 So yeah 😂.

I've gone back and made a log of a few major things she's done kind if like a memory or "baby" book. I wasn't able to keep one when she was a baby due to health issues.

I'm curious to see if a pattern shows up, but I'm doubtful any consistent pattern will now. 😂

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM