Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    drs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    I emailed my psychologist, and unfortunately, he was pretty cold and refused to recalculate my results because the test was performed three years ago. Honestly, I think it's a bit unprofessional of him to do so, especially considering less than 1 in 1,000 individuals require the Extended Norms and it would be interesting for both of us to gain insight into my true cognitive ability. Anyway, thank you for your help aeh. I really appreciate the insight you have given me!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You are very welcome!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    If you took the ACT in grade 10, I’m pretty sure you qualify for DYS based on ACT scores. FWIW, statistically speaking, there will be more DYS individuals with scores similar to yours than with all scores > 99.9%ile.

Would you mind answering which types of hobbies/extracurriculars/electives and such have been most meaningful to you, for those of us who might have children with profiles similar to yours?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Good point, CT! I forgot about the ACT and SAT qualifying test options.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    D
    drs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Absolutely! My number one passion is computer science. I have loved playing with computers ever since I was a small child and I taught myself how to program starting at the age of thirteen. I am starting an internship at my local university developing a new department website, and I have entered the Early College program so I can obtain an AAS (Associate of Applied Science) in Computer Science by the time of my high school graduation ('22). I am captivated by pretty much anything STEM-leaning, however.

Although my verbal reasoning is nothing extraordinary (~95th percentile), I somewhat enjoy writing. As an example, I wrote an entire "novel" of my middle school experiences, which is about 50 pages in length. Essays assigned in school are fun for me and I put a lot of effort into them.

(Side note: could you check out this website that supposedly gives you an I.Q. score from an essay? I have gotten scores as high as 148, even though that is well above my measured ability.)

I am not one for team sports, but I enjoy running cross country and track. I also played the piano for five years, but I was never too passionate about it and practiced somewhat begrudgingly :P. If I had to estimate my musical talent, I would say I was exactly average.

C
    C
    Thanks and good luck to you! My 6 year old changed his zoom name to “wizard, the hacker,” which I found hilarious, but he very well may end up enjoying computer science also!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Darren Skidmore
    Personally, I would not put much stake in a website claiming to have the ability to analyze a 50-word writing sample and approximate the IQ of the writer.

Authors vary their writing for different audiences. When writing for children, or a general audience which may include people who are new to a topic, one may write more simply. This ability to pare down a message to its essence does *not* indicate a lower IQ.

Along the same lines, using cut/paste to provide one's facebook posts for analysis may result in a significantly different estimated IQ than analyzing a professionally published article composed by the same person.

Additionally, a person may be multi-lingual, yet English may not be their main language. They may hear, understand, and speak English much better than they may write in English.

The website reminds me of various writing analyzers which have been incorporated into topics presented at professional development seminars. These tend to analyze attributes such as sentence length, vocabulary, and number of syllables to assess the comfortable grade level of readers in the intended audience. This is separate and distinct from the author's IQ.
    Some links which may be of interest:
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunning_fog_index
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readability_test

I
    I
    Related to the Text-To-IQ writing sample analyzer, and the use of a more varied, nuanced, and precise vocabulary...
    this old thread in the Adult Forum may be of interest: Article: Why People Dislike Really Smart Leaders (Jan 2018)

D
    drs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you for these links! Yeah, I would agree that it is not a normed tool, and the creator even admits that it is biased towards technical texts in lieu of "classics". In addition, vocabulary is the only decisive factor, rather than grammar and semantics (perhaps why I consistently score in the 140s on this website as my WISC-V Vocabulary was 17).

I have indeed known about these formulae for some time in addition to the website I linked. For reference purposes, many of my essays that I have completed in the past twelve months have scored anywhere from a 13.5 to 18.1 grade level in Gunning fog and 10.3 to 15.1 grade level in Flesch–Kincaid. I am awaiting for the ACT TIR for a copy of my essay to determine where it scales in these algorithms as well, but I do know it scored at the 96th percentile nationally.

I
    I
    A writing opportunity that may be of interest...?
    NaNoWriMo

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM