Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    LazyMum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi folks. Apparently, when asked to name a similarity between horses and cows, DD said "they both can lick boogers out of their noses with their tongues", which is incorrect because horses generally can't lick their nostrils. Would the marker care? Does the answer have to be factually true? I have a feeling DD may have answered more than one question in this way, trying to make her teacher laugh...

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    It is my understanding that a properly trained evaluator would say something like "tell me another way they are the same." I'm pretty sure that the answer has to be on the list to be marked as right.

L
    LazyMum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Ahh, that's interesting. Thanks Kai!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes. Although if it actually is factually correct but not on the list, it's still clinically interesting.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    S
    When I took an IQ test at... 9? (a very, very long time ago) the first similarities questions was on apples vs peaches (or maybe apricots). After a string of steadily more complicated answers and more "tell me another way they are the same" from the increasingly frustrated evaluator she finally broke down (after "both come from flowers with 5 petals and 5 sepals", IIRC) and told me "fruits! they are both fruits!!!".

I was flabbergasted (although I tried not to betray my scorn) at how stupid the questions/answers were for what had been pitched to me as a test to see if I was smart "enough".

The rest of the testing proceeded smoothly enough, once expectations on both sides had been properly recalibrated.

Last edited by SiaSL; 09/30/20 10:59 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I usually preface by explaining that some items may be easier, and some may be harder, and that both of those are normal experiences.

Also, Sia, FWIW your evaluator should have given the teaching cue for the first item after just one or two queries, instead of querying to the extent that she showed frustration. I've had the same experience of too much specificity and complexity at the same time on this type of task--from postdoctoral fellows.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    I was allowed to sit in during one of my children's earlier IQ tests. The first question they were asked is "What is a sock", to which they answered "Something for your foot", delivered with quite a lot of personality and eliciting a chortle from the psychologist. My child then proceeded to try to use the same format for every answer, which became more and more inappropriate. I was quite appalled at how long this was allowed to go on for, and that the psychologist seemed unaware that it was her own initial response that had lead my child to answering for entertainment value (especially in the face of such boring questions).

S
    S
    Originally Posted by aeh
    FWIW your evaluator should have given the teaching cue for the first item after just one or two queries, instead of querying to the extent that she showed frustration.

It might not have gone on *that* long. I was around 9, a perfectionist, and took not being able to answer the question very personally laugh. The evaluator (a school psychologist) wasn't exactly upset, more like she wanted to help but couldn't... until she broke down.

Looking back it was fairly hilarious (even though I didn't think so at the time -- I was a pretty serious child).

E
    Online Content
    E
    My sympathies. I am not a professional in this field, but a correct answer should be scored as such. An individual taking a test shouldn’t have to second guess the test creator’s expectations. The questions should have gone through a more rigorous quality control process.

S
    S
    This is what makes aeh's job fascinating, isn't it? You can learn so much more about the child than just whether they know what a sock is laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM