Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    Fritz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    I have two children. My first child was tested 6 years ago using WISC-IV and received a GAI of 138. He was designated as gifted (which wasn't surprising to me based on obvious behaviors since infancy). My second son was recently tested using WISC-V. His GAI was 137. The determination that he was NOT gifted. I will say, I've personally been on the fence about him being gifted or just a really bright kid due to lack of perceived "gifted" behaviors, but the GAI similarity caused me to look further at the underlying test scores. Unfortunately, my first son was also tested using WJ-III Ach and my second son was tested using Wiatt-III, making comparisons impossible: which brings me here.

Due to the lowness of one Wiatt-III score (Essay Composition) I assume that is the deciding factor, but I honestly have no idea. We meet in one week (virtually, unfortunately) so any information would be greatly appreciated. Scores are below:

8 yrs, 10 months, entering 3rd grade
    WISC-V
    GAI - 137 - 99 percentile - Extremely High

Scaled Score (x=10)
    VCI Subtests
    Similarities - 19
    Vocabulary - 15

VSI Subtests
    Block Design - 16

FRI Subtests
    Matrix Reasoning - 16
    Figure Weights - 13

WIAT-III
    Test, Standard Score (x=100), Percentile Rank, Grade Equivalency
    Reading Comprehension (1-12) - 129 - 97 - 6+
    Essay Composition (3-12) - 98 - 45 - 3.8
    Numerical Operations (K-12) - 160 - 99+ - 6.2
    Math Problem-Solving (K-12) - 131 - 98 - 6.4

What strikes me is the grade for Essay is 3-12 and he is ENTERING 3rd grade. He's written few book reports (even less due to the pandemic) and knows little of structural essays at this point. Aside from a few book reports, I'm not sure if he's been called on to write more than two sentences in school for anything, while this essay seemed to be 4-5 sentences.

As I said earlier, I've always been on the fence with gifted for him and still think he may just be very bright, so don't worry about offending. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I responded to your pm.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    I am sure you will get far more useful information from AEH, but I must say that I find it quite astonishing that these results have been described as "not gifted".

The WISC appears to have some parts missing (there are no processing speed measures at all and only one VS subtest?). From the scores you have posted it seems entirely possible that the FSIQ could have been in the gifted range, depending on the other subtests. None the less, a GAI in the gifted range is explicitly a way of grouping subtests in order to assess for giftedness and his score is solidly into the gifted range.

Furthermore, three out of the four WIAT measures reported are in the gifted range, one of them exceptionally so.

Gifted behaviours are a very interesting aspect of giftedness and can help further understand your child, but the majority of gifted programs require standardised test scores, not a description of behaviours, and he has those scores.

Please also keep in mind that it is possible to be 2E (Twice exceptional) or "GLD" (gifted with learning delays). This does not mean a child is "not gifted". It means they are BOTH gifted, and have something else going on. Perhaps your child's essay score is significantly out of step with his VCI due to lack of opportunity to learn this skill, perhaps he has some sort of specific difficulty in this area, I am not qualified to say. But even if he has an actual difficulty in this area that does not deny his giftedness, it means he has a weakness he needs support with.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM