Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Some people are "supertasters".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

They actually have more tastebuds and taste bitter flavors more strongly. Many green vegetables taste bitter to supertasters.

Thank you Austin!

Kriston is right in that I read the book over a year ago and was quoting from memory. It is not an pro-environmental, anti-pesticide, organic-hugging book at all. I was merely trying to point out the level of care and detail that the author goes to in researching the ingredients. It is hard to imagine that one could write an entire chapter on "wheat flour". You grow it, you harvest it, you mill it... what else is there to say? Just wait until he gets to the polysorbate 20 chapter. (*note* I am also remembering this from over a year ago, so take the last sentence with a grain of salt, please!)

I found the book fascinating from a food allergy point of view, since we have major food allergies. He shows you how a soy or corn product will come down a manufacturing line and split into food and non-food production items.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Cathy A

They actually have more tastebuds and taste bitter flavors more strongly. Many green vegetables taste bitter to supertasters.

Interesting. I was intrigued by the list of most offensive foods. I am not a picky eater and never have been. But I do gag on Brussel sprouts and Kale, even now. And I do not like coffee or chocolate because they are so bitter.

So maybe he did get it from me--I have always blamed DH!

Originally Posted by Kriston
    Well, be fair there, Austin. ebeth was recounting her memory of the book, not quoting from it. I presume she's not a farmer, and so she may not have gotten the details quite right.

Please be sure that you're taking issue with the book, and not attacking her memory of it. (Said the middle-aged woman who is amazed at how many things she can forget in a day...)

Understood. laugh

Originally Posted by Cathy A

Me. I cannot stand coffee (love the smell) and olives taste weird to me. I can tell when food is starting to spoil by smell or taste when no one else can. I cannot handle sour candy at all. Alcohol in small amounts if at all - love the buzz, but after a few sips, it turns me off. I can taste very small amounts of impurities in food such as detergent or bleach left over from cleaning or other contaminants like oil that no one else can. Moldy smells, smoke, urine - all jump out at me.

Originally Posted by ebeth
    Kriston is right in that I read the book over a year ago and was quoting from memory. It is not an pro-environmental, anti-pesticide, organic-hugging book at all. I was merely trying to point out the level of care and detail that the author goes to in researching the ingredients. It is hard to imagine that one could write an entire chapter on "wheat flour". You grow it, you harvest it, you mill it... what else is there to say? Just wait until he gets to the polysorbate 20 chapter. (*note* I am also remembering this from over a year ago, so take the last sentence with a grain of salt, please!)

I found the book fascinating from a food allergy point of view, since we have major food allergies. He shows you how a soy or corn product will come down a manufacturing line and split into food and non-food production items.

I am very anti-pesticide myself. I studied the use of chemical weapons in the Army and hate them and most pesticides are the same thing as are most herbicides.

Food is VERY interesting stuff. Most industries will give tours. I got a tour of a cheese plant once. They make hundreds of tons of it a day in giant vats. You see all the care that goes into making it and then get to taste it at the end - and its quite good!

OTOH, I love the dairy ads where they show cows on grass, when most dairies are using prepared rations now. Nothing wrong with that and its probably better for the cows, but still - its misleading.

Soy is an interesting substance. A good friend's son was a vegetarian and ate a lot of soy. He ended up with issues related to the hormone mimics in soy and had to go off it onto grass-fed beef and fish and is now OK.

I wonder if some people are "super receptors" for some things??

My DS4 can't stand the smell of peanuts and peanut butter. He asks us to go eat a mint or something if he smells it on our breath.

Here's where I learned about supertasters:
    TMBG - John Lee Supertaster

(I have learned many many things from They Might Be Giants!)

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanx for all the great suggestions... My sister tried a few of them but her husband found the easiest solution.. He brought home this new drink called Wat-aah and my nephew just loves it.. http://www.drinkwataah.com/ .. but sometimes she does have to add a lemon when he gets stubborn again..

That's great you've found something that's working. Is it the graphics on the bottle he likes then? Maybe you could let him pick out a cool Sigg bottle or two, and keep them filled in the fridge. Would save money and landfill in the long run.

http://www.sigg.com/index.php?id=46&L=1

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/24/08 11:22 AM.
    Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM