Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    My DS is allergic to both cow's and goat's milk (he's been tested for both upon my insistence, even though the ped. allergist told me ahead of time that the proteins are very similar and he would likely be allergic to both). Specifically, he's allergic to whey, but the casein and why cannot reliably be separated enough to just let him have stuff with casein in it. (no whey!) McDonalds uses cow's milk. smile

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/03/08 01:05 PM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by delbows
    Our kids generally drink regular, chocolate or soy milk, water and OJ, but my son does drink soda in moderation which has meant approximately twice per week since he was six or so. Just recently though, I have begun to include a short can of diet caffeinated soda (in addition to milk) for his school lunch because he has to get up at 5am each morning now for school. I�m still considering whether this is a really bad idea (the soda, not the school).

Watch out for most kinds of chocolate milk --- they have high fructose corn syrup and other icky ingredients.

Re: caffeinated soda. Have you thought about giving him dark chocolate instead? A portion of a dark chocolate bar has the same amount of caffeine as a soda (see this link). Chocolate (provided it's made with cocoa beans, meaning, real chocolate) is also said to be less apt to promoting tooth decay than many other sugary foods. Just do a google search for "chocolate 'tooth decay.' "

This is NOT to say that eating tons of chocolate will prevent tooth decay. I'm merely saying that the cocoa in chocolate appears to have a protective effect against tooth decay. This is probably one of these eat-in-moderation type things (similar to a little wine being good for you, but not a whole bottle all in one go with every meal!).

Hmm. This may qualify as a science factoid for the week?

Val

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Boiled or steamed mashed cauliflower tastes just like mashed potatoes too. (there is the problem with the smell of the steaming cauliflower, though...)

We lucked out with the dairy allergy and mcdonalds - they put milk in their french fry coating, so he can't have them, and what's the point of going to mcdonalds if you can't eat the fries? or the chicken mcnuggets, which also have milk? wink So we happily avoid it.

I had 3 babies in 4.5 years and cut down on my McDonald's intake throughout, to the point where I stopped eating anything there bar an occasional carton of french fries. I eventually came to find the taste of fast food to be rather revolting (took 2-3 years of not really eating it).

THEN I saw the DVD version of Supersize Me. It has a DVD Extra where they did a science experiment. They bought a Filet-o-Fish, a McDonald's hamburger (or a Big Mac or something), a McD's Large Fries, and a burger from the tasty burger place across the road. They put each item in a glass jar, sealed the jars, and then OBSERVED what happened over time. The results were predictable for everything but the french fries....mold, etc. As for the french fries: nothing happened, except that maybe they got a little limpid looking.

After I saw that segment, I never, ever ate McDonald's fries again. And I don't eat most other fast food fries. We like Organic Russet Potato oven chips from Whole Foods. Very tasty.

Val

I love their milk. I can drink a whole quart of chocolate milk sitting in the parking lot after shopping.

Promised Land

Originally Posted by Val
    They bought a Filet-o-Fish, a McDonald's hamburger (or a Big Mac or something), a McD's Large Fries, and a burger from the tasty burger place across the road. They put each item in a glass jar, sealed the jars, and then OBSERVED what happened over time. The results were predictable for everything but the french fries....mold, etc. As for the french fries: nothing happened, except that maybe they got a little limpid looking.
    Val

One of the funniest food scenes from a movie (that is pretty foody to begin with ) is when William Hurt and his brothers, in The Accidental Tourist, open up the oven to look at a Holiday Turkey that has been at 120 degrees for two days. To this day I get the willies when I see stuff undercooked.

Last edited by Austin; 09/03/08 01:47 PM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    I love their milk. I can drink a whole quart of chocolate milk sitting in the parking lot after shopping.

Promised Land

Looks delicious! I was looking forward to trying some until...STINK! Promised Land isn't avaiable in California.

Val

D
    D
    Val,
    Thanks for the information regarding caffeine levels and the suggestion for dark chocolate. My daughter is the dark chocolate aficionado of the two kids and my son doesn�t care much for it last I checked. You gave me an excellent reason to bring it home more often for the rest of us!

I looked on the label for the Horizon brand organic chocolate milk which I buy for their lunches. Sure enough, it has cane syrup in it. I understand that even diet soda promotes tooth decay. Fortunately, DS has never had a cavity, but he will need to be especially careful now, since he will be getting braces soon.

I�ll mention the dark chocolate idea to him. Maybe his taste has changed in the last year.

Austin,
    I sent an email to find out if Promised Land milk is available around here. Their dark chocolate milk sounds great.

We have definitely increased the amount of fiber and lean protein in our diets, but I have to make a greater effort to reduce the sugars we all eat.

Sugar is my weakness, too, Val. Well, and starches... We've switched to whole-grain everything, so that helps. Not enough though! frown

Kriston
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Sugar is my weakness, too, Val. Well, and starches... We've switched to whole-grain everything, so that helps. Not enough though! frown

Sugar is also my weakness. I think we are all allowed to have weaknesses without feeling guilty! They make life more fun if you don't go overboard.

So along those lines, I only ate part of a large brownie today. I was feeling full and didn't see the point!

Val

Originally Posted by Val
    THEN I saw the DVD version of Supersize Me. It has a DVD Extra where they did a science experiment. They bought a Filet-o-Fish, a McDonald's hamburger (or a Big Mac or something), a McD's Large Fries, and a burger from the tasty burger place across the road. They put each item in a glass jar, sealed the jars, and then OBSERVED what happened over time. The results were predictable for everything but the french fries....mold, etc. As for the french fries: nothing happened, except that maybe they got a little limpid looking.

After I saw that segment, I never, ever ate McDonald's fries again. And I don't eat most other fast food fries. We like Organic Russet Potato oven chips from Whole Foods. Very tasty.

Val

The result of the fries is not necessarily alarming, other than the fact it shows how much fat is absorbed into the potato. An early common method of storing food was to cook it in fat, or cook the fat out and let it cool with the fat hardening on top to make an air tight seal. The biggest problem with the fries is consuming so much fat when your body doesn't need that much to burn.

As for getting a child to eat right, who buys the food? Who puts the food in front of the child? I never heard of a child starving himself to death if not given what he demands.
    Don't make it a contest of wills. Put the food in front of them at appropriate times, if not eaten in an appropriate time then put it away. Give it to the dog if you don't want to save it for the next meal. Above all, do not yell, coerce, beg, etc; this is breakfast/lunch/dinner, the child will eat sooner or later.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM