Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    I have *no* doubt that your kids' diets are healthier than average, delbows. I read recently that the average American child gets ONE fruit or vegetable per day, and that the most common one they get is FRENCH FRIES!

Now, I don't know about you, but french fries don't even count as a veg in our house! That's a starch, like pasta or rice. (And a special treat kind at that!)

It's a wonder kids survive to adulthood on a diet like that! I feel guilty when I have to count their morning OJ as one of their fruits & veggies to get to the 5 required...

Kriston
    D
    D
    French fries definitely fit into the starch and junk food categories at our house! On the rare occasion that we eat fast food, usually from Culver�s, our family of four splits a medium order of fries although everyone does get their own burger!

I have yet to find a kid who can resist a hot french fry. They make great bribes!

But my dietician friend has declared war on fried foods and can back it up with data and makes me feel guilty...

OTOH, mashed potatoes with the skins on, boiled slowly, with lots of parmesan cheese and milk are pretty high in just about everything. I like to use evaporated milk if I can.

I had to laugh, Austin, because my DS doesn't like french fries.

Originally Posted by Cathy A
    I had to laugh, Austin, because my DS doesn't like french fries.

LOL

Ah, but they are not MY french fries! Send him over, I will deprogram him!

I could eat my weight in mashed potatoes! I also leave the skin on, use Yukon gold potatoes, and use skim milk and fat-free sour cream, so it's creamy and rich-tasting without all the calories. Sometimes I boil garlic cloves in with the potatoes for simple garlic mashed potatoes. Yum!

One medium potato has 45% of an adult's RDA of vitamin C. Surprising, no? But that pretty much goes away if you deep-fat fry them...

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I could eat my weight in mashed potatoes! I also leave the skin on, use Yukon gold potatoes, and use skim milk and fat-free sour cream, so it's creamy and rich-tasting without all the calories. Sometimes I boil garlic cloves in with the potatoes for simple garlic mashed potatoes. Yum!

Ever tried mashed turnips? They can be just as good!!

I've heard that. But I'd have to peel those, and I'm lazy! wink

Kriston
    Boiled or steamed mashed cauliflower tastes just like mashed potatoes too. (there is the problem with the smell of the steaming cauliflower, though...)

We lucked out with the dairy allergy and mcdonalds - they put milk in their french fry coating, so he can't have them, and what's the point of going to mcdonalds if you can't eat the fries? or the chicken mcnuggets, which also have milk? wink So we happily avoid it.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Boiled or steamed mashed cauliflower tastes just like mashed potatoes too. (there is the problem with the smell of the steaming cauliflower, though...)

We lucked out with the dairy allergy and mcdonalds - they put milk in their french fry coating, so he can't have them, and what's the point of going to mcdonalds if you can't eat the fries? or the chicken mcnuggets, which also have milk? wink So we happily avoid it.

Is it all milk? Goats?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM