Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    #24750 09/03/08 07:43 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    So my nephew is kind of a stubborn little guy and lately has gone on this kick where he absolutely refuses to drink water, he loves his soda way too much..I spent all weekend trying to coerce him (he's 4), but nothing seemed to work. Does anyone have suggestions for trying to change a child's eating habits? Any help would be much appreciated!

M
    M
    We just had to break the "juice monster" around here because while my DS6 and DS4 will drink water and milk, DD2 was refusing anything but juice. Even though we water it down to be almost unrecognizable as juice, I still didn't like it. So, I just stopped buying it and offered her milk with meals and water (with ice and/or a splash of lemon) all other times. It took a couple of days of tears, but she understands that I'm really not buying juice anymore and if she's thirsty she knows what her choices are.

I think keeping the bad stuff out of the house is the key. We just returned from vacation with visits to grammy and gramps, where soda is freely available. Of course, DS chose that. But if you don't have soda around, they'll drink whatever's available when they're thirsty. With our DS4, we still have some issues with juice, because DS has a dairy allergy and I do allow juice with calcium and a soy drink that has juice in it because he doesn't like the taste of most dairy alternatives. But recently we got him to drink more water if it's kept very cold in the fridge. He also has some Sigg aluminum bottles that help keep the water cold. We've had success with these pitchers - he can serve himself: Kid-Size Pitcher

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/03/08 09:14 AM. Reason: added link
    Same here. We just don't buy soda. My kids drink H2O or soymilk at home. One serving of 100% juice per day (juice box in their lunches for school.)

My nephews (7,9,11) lived with me for a while and it took a while to break their poor dietary habits. We had no soda in the house, only water and milk and OJ. I kept water in an old jug in the fridge as well. I also fostered boys between 1 year and 6 years of age and ALL were hooked on soda, too.

I would not coerce them to drink anything - but would put milk and water on the table for them. They can choose to drink either one or not drink anything at all. Most said they wanted soda, and I'd say, we only have water and milk. Pick one. It took up to three days before they just accepted it.

The other battle was over junk food, starches, etc. Macaroni and Cheese and Pizza are not meals for growing boys. But that's what they wanted and in many cases, that's what they had the taste for. I'd have to try many different meats prepared different ways to find the ones they liked, then work others into the meals with just small amounts of mashed potatoes and a green vegetable like broccoli or squash. This would take 2-3 weeks.

Usually breakfast with eggs and bacon/sausage would be when they would catch on, then a healthy sandwich lunch, then (Finally) they'd take to dinner. Then, I'd get them to eat meat first, then work on the other items.

After two months of meals high in protein and with little sugar, their bodies would start to fill out and grow.

Oops. Double post.

Last edited by Cathy A; 09/03/08 12:12 PM.
    That's so sad that the 1-year-old was also hooked on soda. Good planning with the proteins. We definitely have to work on the sweets around here. DS had nothing bad for him until he was 2, then it's sort of gone downhill. I partly blame the dairy allergy, because it didn't seem fair that he could have nothing when others were eating cake and cookies at birthdays/snack times, but that's no excuse. It's especially hard when mom is a major chocoholic...

K
    K
    I'm with st pauli - don't have it in the house (ok the 2lt habit a day I have with pop but....). I don't mean to sound like the meanie mom i am. but what happened to saying no to our kids. drink water, milk (soy, rice, cow, whatever), or something healthy or be thirsty. geez. i do sound mean. we need to do better with processed foods but it is the mama's habits that need to change :-( Oh I have to say what is already said - soda at one! It is like when a friend of dd6 slept over and she was surprised to learn i was going to read to dd2 before bed. she asked will you read to dd4 too. yes. long pause... will you read to us. i swear, i answered quickly and headed up to bed with dd2 before she saw mommy tears.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    That's so sad that the 1-year-old was also hooked on soda. Good planning with the proteins. We definitely have to work on the sweets around here. DS had nothing bad for him until he was 2, then it's sort of gone downhill. I partly blame the dairy allergy, because it didn't seem fair that he could have nothing when others were eating cake and cookies at birthdays/snack times, but that's no excuse. It's especially hard when mom is a major chocoholic...

My nephews - I had a rule about no candy in the house. I knew the kids would be breaking it when they would show up for dinner and not eat. I'd tell them "Inspection Time" and I'd have them clean out their rooms for me. We'd go through all their clothing and stuff. I'd know where it was when they would get real slow. LOL. Its was a constant battle, but they can only win at the margins now. When they visit, I get no resistance, and just have had one meltdown, even though their mom and dad still dote on them. One is now 16 and works out a lot and eats right on his own. We'll see about the others.

As to the foster kids - You have no idea. I could write a book on this.

One five year old boy that was with us for 6 months got placed with a family member who was close to the mom. His first comment was, "YEAH!!! Now I can stay up late and eat all the candy I want!!" shocked

D
    D
    While employed as a flight attendant for one year between college semesters, I witnessed mothers filling their children�s baby bottles with Coke quite frequently and would often deliver unsolicited and unappreciated cartons of milk -I couldn�t help myself.

Our kids generally drink regular, chocolate or soy milk, water and OJ, but my son does drink soda in moderation which has meant approximately twice per week since he was six or so. Just recently though, I have begun to include a short can of diet caffeinated soda (in addition to milk) for his school lunch because he has to get up at 5am each morning now for school. I�m still considering whether this is a really bad idea (the soda, not the school).

Since they were very young, we allowed our kids to make their own decisions about what snacks they consumed. Of course, we discussed proper nutrition on a regular basis and the importance of balancing empty calories so they could make informed choices. They do fairly well and usually choose small portions of junk food (if at all) combined with yogurt or fruit when they want a snack. We don�t buy whole and organic foods exclusively, but I believe their diets are healthier than average.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM