Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 66 of 268 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 267 268
    M
    M
    Great story, seablue! You have to read her "Anno's Magic Seeds" now!

peace
    minnie

This is not so much a brag, as an observation of amazingly different thinking! My DS7 has asked for more math books, more math books. I was talking with him about it today and said that when I was little I would never have asked my parents for more math books. He couldn't understand why and I commented that he really loves math. He said, "No, I NEED math." I asked him if he needed math as much as food and he said, "No, I need math WAY MORE than food." Wow, strange and cool, and I just cannot keep up with him....Nan

Originally Posted by NanRos
    This is not so much a brag, as an observation of amazingly different thinking! My DS7 has asked for more math books, more math books. I was talking with him about it today and said that when I was little I would never have asked my parents for more math books. He couldn't understand why and I commented that he really loves math. He said, "No, I NEED math." I asked him if he needed math as much as food and he said, "No, I need math WAY MORE than food." Wow, strange and cool, and I just cannot keep up with him....Nan

LOL!

A little Erasmus!

http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/erasmus.html

"One of the most famous and amusing quotes from the noted scholar and translator Erasmus was, "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.""

T
    T
    I was watching a dinosaur show with my planet-crazy DS4 and commented, "See that man? He's a REAL paleontologist!"
    DS4: "Wow, I want to meet him one day!"
    Me: (thrilled that he might be developing interests outside of space) "That would be so cool!"
    DS4: "Yeah, I could tell him all about planets!"

Austin, Haha!! I have heard that quote! Thanks for the link! Nan

Trillium, very very funny!

Originally Posted by Zanzi
    The only way to get him to go to the toilet is to give him a 'maths challenge'. It's harder than you'd think to come up with them, considering you need to know the answer yourself.

Just noticed this one, all the stories are funny/great, but this one is just to die for. laugh

Ds9 has come to grips again with multiplication (obviously not a brag, just a relief, as he did great last year then proceeded to dump all that stuff from him brain over the summer.) Now every thing about math is easy again, just like the 2nd part of last year. Fractions ("mom it's like arm wrestling with a baby!"), decimals, etc. He was feeling pretty yucky all last week and still went to school with some encouragement, aced his various tests, and felt better at the end that he hadn't just tummy-ached out of them. He came home from his gt class the last couple weeks really excited about getting to do the lego engineering project (like a center he gets to choose to work on for several weeks), and also this week, they did some forensic science stuff, talked about and examined their own fingerprints and stuff like that.
    Dd3.5 is becoming a bit of an inventor of both words (Soctopus was her latest really funny one) and things; she has a great vocab so to amuse herself she changes up the words she already knows. The other day she grabbed a plastic bag I had in the car and put her arms through the handles like a backpack, announcing that she had on a parachute! It really looked cool and I was pretty surprised (of course setting off all sorts of alarm bells, child playing with plastic bag!!).

A
    A
    Boodle (3.5 months) is still having a hard time controlling his hands, but he's figured out other ways of getting what he wants. Sometimes he'll cry until we help him walk and then he'll "walk" himself over to the object he wants and wrap his mouth around it. We had a meltdown when I wouldn't let him mouth the power cords in the outlet.

The other day his favorite toy (a stuffed dog in floral print) was on his legs while he was in the car. He couldn't reach it, so he lifted his leg up until it rolled to him. The first time, it rolled off the carseat so my husband put it back on his legs. Then he lifted both legs and it rolled more evenly and ended up right in his lap (where he happily put it in his mouth!)

asdgestalt.com - An autism and psychology discussion forum.
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Zanzi
    The only way to get him to go to the toilet is to give him a 'maths challenge'. It's harder than you'd think to come up with them, considering you need to know the answer yourself. We've moved to algebra but I feel like I need to start multiplying fractions, in which case I'll need to hide a calculator in my back pocket so I don't look like I'm clueless.

LOL, that is hilarious! Sounds so much like my DS5, he always wants us to give him algebra problems while in the car. It does take a lot of thinking because if I give him an easy one he solves it in seconds and I have to think of another one (plus he tells me to give him a harder one) and if I give him a hard one I have to figure out the answer in my head first(while I am driving of course) and then try to remember it. Sometimes I get distracted and he tells me the answer and then I have to check and see if he was right. Makes car rides not so relaxing. Thankfully when I put classical music on that usually gets him singing and humming and slightly distracted. : ) On long trips we thankfully have a whole basket of mind puzzles and math stuff to keep his brain nourished.

J
    J
    DS6 comes home yesterday to say he's moved another level in reading. He's at the highest level in the entire first grade. He's at a higher level than many second graders too! Thank goodness he's not still in K!

Page 66 of 268 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM