Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 328 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Paul Kevin, salubrious, Lorens, Devaki, kitiye
    10807 Registered Users
    August
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    30 31
    Topic Options
    #247360 - 07/19/20 03:30 PM COVID Elementary
    TuffToodle Offline

My DD and DS are both elementary gifted students (4th and 1st respectively). I am considering online programs for the fall because of COVID and I was wondering if anyone can recommend something that is computer adaptive and covers most/all subjects so we don't have to shell out for a million different programs. We have been with our local public school up until now, but even in person they were struggling to provide for DD and with the current situation, she will go nuts with another year of homeschooling if we don't find something good.

#247367 - 07/21/20 05:31 PM Re: COVID Elementary [Re: TuffToodle]
    chris1234 Offline

k-12 is online and free in a lot of states, if you could get them into the right year for their level and supplement with other things this might save some $. just a thought.

#247368 - 07/22/20 09:20 AM Re: COVID Elementary [Re: TuffToodle]
    aeh Online   content

Likewise Connections Academy. Some states also have their own virtual charter schools (instead or in addition), using other curricula (CA, FL, MA, for example).

#247372 - 07/23/20 12:27 PM Re: COVID Elementary [Re: TuffToodle]
    aeh Online   content

If I am recalling your state correctly, you have something like a dozen options for online public schools, which would all be free, including multiple K12-powered schools, Connections Academy-powered schools, and those with self-made or cross-platform-curated curricula. If your objective is to be self-paced, you probably want to avoid the last category of online schools, although they also have the most synchronous facetime with teachers.

A few of the programs tout their GT programming, including SSA and ability grouping (I am including those with live teachers, not just computer-adaptive), but generally none of them have GT-specific programs until grade 3, and some are not until middle school. I would start by poking around your state GT parent association chats regarding local experiences with public online schools, especially regarding the flexibility of school administrators (who are still humans, and not bots!).

#247376 - 07/23/20 10:07 PM Re: COVID Elementary [Re: TuffToodle]
    puffin Offline

As a homeschooler I wouldn't advise an online programme for a 1st grader of any IQ level.

#247379 - 07/24/20 07:06 PM Re: COVID Elementary [Re: TuffToodle]
    aeh Online   content

You may also wish to consider registering as a homeschooler. Your state does not appear to have particularly onerous requirements for transitioning to homeschooling, and mandates a fair amount of cooperation from school districts, including access to any curricular or co-curricular activities you wish to use within the district (unlike many states, they reimburse districts for classes homeschoolers take). You can even request their curriculum materials at no cost. It would be up to the district whether they would let you take multiple grades-worth of texts, and let your DCs work through them more quickly, but it would probably be worth asking. You might also ask if they have site licenses for any computer-adaptive instructional packages that you could access.

You would need to notify them fairly soon regarding homeschooling, though, as most states have deadlines in July or August (yours, I think, is August 1st).

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Career/taking control of my life at 26
    by raphael
    Yesterday at 09:54 AM
    Does anyone have experience of this program?
    by nialcoxworth
    Yesterday at 04:35 AM
    Aging
    by aeh
    08/02/20 08:46 AM
    Equity for 2e students / Neurodiversity-Disab
    ility

by indigo
    08/02/20 07:23 AM
    How bad is the social aspect of grade skipping?
    by Eagle Mum
    08/01/20 09:47 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter