Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    What are the best online school options for gifted kids? I'm considering switching to online for my 9th grader for a year in light of COVID. Our school in Texas is planning to offer online education but I want to investigate all options, especially since they are telling us that course options for online education will be limited. I'll need something that would allow my kid to reenter public school next year back into pre-AP/AP classes. Anyone have experience they are willing to share, both on good programs and how easy/difficult it is to transition back to regular public school?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I haven't used any online options for my own kids (other than online college/dual enrollment courses, which would be a different conversation), but my experience with students transitioning into our secondary school after a year or more of using Connections Academy has been that they have been not noticeably different from b&m-schooled peers in the ability to fit into academic programming. I haven't seen enough students from other online schools to comment on them.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    So I shouldn't have a hard time getting my son back into pre AP/AP classes if we go this route?

Connections academy is one of the ones I'm looking at, as well as UT High School. A lot of it is just going to depend on how limited the course offerings are through our local high school. Also thinking that it's kinda pointless for him to have double blocked band if he's learning virtually.

W
    W
    DD is entering 11th. She had 2 AP classes this past year and has 6 this coming year. 2 Eco, Spanish, the English is also AP, didn't know (both choices are AP -- she has to take the other one next year for 4 English credits for graduation). CS and Chem. I think once you get to high school you want quality. Her school is a private academic and they really stepped up once covid started. So I am not concerned for the fall, but I thought about Stanford online. I know it is expensive, but I would choose something that has AP courses. I haven't looked at others. But that is my suggestion -- look for one that has an AP track.

P
    P
    My DD is thrilled with Fusion Academy - a chain of 50 or so campuses that offer 1-1 classes. This format is great for gifted/2e kids because the classes move at their pace, are taught in the way that works best for them and with appropriate levels of challenge. Truly an individualized program for each kid. They will be offering virtual class options even if campuses are able to open in the fall. I can’t say enough good things about them.

https://www.fusionacademy.com/

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Stanford online looks interesting, but it's too late to apply for the coming school year.

M
    M
    I heard a couple high school moms on here talking about soraschools.com. Website says it's self-paced with plenty of academic support as well as synchronous events like workshop and some discussions--I guess they lean into PBL too? I'm not sure but you may want to look into it.

M
    M
    Hello there - another option is Davidson Academy's online campus. The Davidson Academy is briefly reopening its 2020-2021 application July 22-27: https://www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu...-online-to-re-open-2020-2021-application

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM