Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 208 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MPerez, mauricezaiss, nialcoxworth, BethSmi, hi_coco
    10788 Registered Users
    July
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Topic Options
    #247229 - 06/17/20 04:53 PM How accurate are initial estimates?
    slmw Offline

My 8 year old just took the WISC-V. When I went to get her, the psychologist briefly mentioned that she thinks she should have no problems getting into a certain gifted school in our area that uses FSIQ >= 130, but she still needs to enter the raw scores and calculate everything exactly. How accurate are psychologists in general in estimating based on raw scores? Should I keep my hopes up or be conservative?

#247231 - 06/17/20 06:45 PM Re: How accurate are initial estimates? [Re: slmw]
    Kai Offline

When a psychologist told me this, her "estimate" was that my son's GAI was 160+. I was stunned, since I thought it would be around 140. It turns out that she was looking at the wrong page in the book (actually at more than one wrong page), so the scores were for a kid who was around 1-2 years younger (or maybe more). His actual GAI was 140.

That said, I think this particular psychologist had some issues. For all other evaluations my kids have gone through, the numbers the evaluators gave before entering everything into the software were right on.

#247233 - 06/18/20 04:39 PM Re: How accurate are initial estimates? [Re: slmw]
    indigo Offline

I would be patient and wait for the actual scores. Use the time to prepare questions so that the scores help you understand your child better (and your child to understand herself better), in terms of strengths, any potential areas of relative weakness, strategies for compensating, and anything else you can think of that may be of interest based on what you observe day-to-day in real life.
    smile

#247236 - 06/18/20 06:23 PM Re: How accurate are initial estimates? [Re: slmw]
    MumOfThree Offline

Loc: Australia
    I have found psychologists mostly to be vaguer than that straight after testing, but also found what they have said did line up with results. So much so with the vagueness that I have never been able to be as prepared as Indigo suggests.

#247238 - 06/18/20 07:43 PM Re: How accurate are initial estimates? [Re: slmw]
    madeinuk Offline

Loc: NJ
    Tester told me that our DD was a very bright little girl right after the test. She told me that she would have to run the results through the mill but she had no doubt that our DD was ‘gifted’. She was right because our DD was accepted by the DYS program based on those results 7 or so years ago.

#247239 - 06/19/20 03:59 AM Re: How accurate are initial estimates? [Re: slmw]
    Wren Offline

DD was tested at 2 for a gifted preschool that required it, then again for CTY and again when we moved to Canada. It was always in the same range, within 5 points. I was curious what happens after final brain development.

#247247 - 06/19/20 05:32 PM Re: How accurate are initial estimates? [Re: slmw]
    aeh Online   content

I would wait for the formal scores and interpretive narrative, even if the evaluator seemed confident. While an experienced assessor can get a pretty clear picture during and immediately on completion of the testing itself, you will likely receive a more thoughtful and comprehensive understanding of her results when the scores are explained in context.

I would guess that she probably was not estimating based on the raw scores, but looking up scaled scores for subtests during the testing process (easy enough to do since they're in the same manual used to administer the test, and there are a few moments where the examiner just waits for the student to complete a task independently). That isn't the full process for calculating IQ scores, and, of course, a conscientious evaluator might like to go back and make sure everything is scored and recorded accurately, which is why she might be cautious giving more specifics.

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Online school options during COVID
    by Appleton
    02:07 PM
    Physics in elementary
    by Eagle Mum
    03:16 AM
    one proposed instructional response to covid
    by aeh
    07/10/20 08:15 PM
    People Not Getting "It"; pre school and COVID