Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I do have to preface this with a small unfortunate caution, which is that informally completing the PRI subtests of the WAIS-IV, even in an overseas edition (since they are substantially the same stimulus items), formally invalidates any administration of the WAIS-IV for the next 24 months. That is, you now cannot be assessed with the WAIS-IV for another two years (presumably after you are out of high school). If you do end up being evaluated in the next 24 months, please disclose early on that you have seen these three WAIS-IV subtests, and share the results, so the evaluator can select a different instrument (there are a couple of other options, but since the WAIS is the most widely used, absent a specific reason, they would probably default to this). It is also possible that the timing of publication will work out for you, and the WAIS-5 will be released while you are still in high school (likely some time in the next year or two).

As to the findings of your recent exercise: yes, these are consistent with a PRI in the GT range (although this specific collection of subtests would not have generated a PRI under standard rules, as one of the core subtests has been substituted). As we have discussed previously, there are many factors that could have impacted your prior testing to reduce its validity. I've also noted that your fine motor speed has been reported to be a possible area of significant weakness both on testing and functionally, which could also have impacted your past measures of nonverbal ability. Notably, the subtests your friend showed you are all motor-free, and the one you did the best on (in terms of scaled scores, not necessarily raw scores) is untimed (assuming your friend did indeed use the correct timing procedures).

The summary continues to be that you have documented strengths in verbal thinking and problem solving, and a history of interfering factors that leave the question of your assessed visual spatial and nonverbal reasoning skills open. Your recent anecdotal evidence, as well as some of your personal life experiences, suggest that your formal tests were more likely than not to be low estimates--but by how much is unclear.

In any case, I think we have established that you have enough learning potential in all discussed domains that your short- and long-term outcomes remain principally a function of what you do with your capacities.

On another note, how are you doing with all the changes resulting from the current public health emergency?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    Online Content
    E
    I have been tempted a few times to have my son (now 15) retested (as I did with his older sister who was tested at 3 and retested at 9), since his estimated FSIQ at age 4 is almost certainly an underestimate (the experienced psychologist even advised at the time that she strongly suspected this was the case - quantitative reasoning was by far his lowest score and he has been invited to the AMT Selection School), but he has always been an independent self directed learner who found opportunities to learn & develop in every situation, so it didn't really seem necessary (so I haven't). I've had a couple of discussions with him over the years in case he felt differently, but he is confident in his intellectual abilities and doesn't feel the need for further formal validation.

A formal IQ assessment is useful for younger children in order to ensure that their intellectual growth is adequately supported, but by the final years of formal education, particularly with the broader opportunities afforded by digital technology, outcomes are increasingly self determined.

BTW, my work includes some molecular biology. It's not a particularly difficult field of study for an enquiring mind (which your post seems to suggest you have) with appropriate mentors. If you are truly interested in this field, I hope you find a way to pursue studies & a career in it. Otherwise, I hope you find something else which is intellectually satisfying.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I also have a background that includes molecular biology, and I would agree.

We also have not chosen to pursue formal assessments for our own children, as there hasn't been a compelling functional reason for it up until now (and we have one who has passed the K-12 stage). Granted, it is likely that my estimate of my children's IQ is more accurate than average, for obvious reasons. But more importantly, we haven't needed that quantitative data for advocacy or problem solving, which are the principal reasons for obtaining it. (They've been mostly homeschooled, and when advocacy or problem solving was needed, I was able to do so largely on the weight of my professional credentials and skills.) Testing under these circumstances would be more to satisfy my own curiosity/validate my private estimates than to meet any real needs for my children. IOW, it would be for me, not for them. Which is why we haven't done it to this point.

V
    OP Offline
    V
    At least in the technical sense, I just "completed" high school by passing all four sections of the GED, even though I really only managed to attend high school for half of a semester of 9th grade, I believe in part because of my circadian rhythm sleep disorder, and in part due to a lack of motivation to work on my sleep schedule in order to be awake during the day, which I think was because I felt that little actual learning occurred in public high school, and that was disconcerting to me.

I got 91st percentile on the Science section, 87th on Social Studies, 75th on Language Arts, and 63rd on Math. I am surprised that I didn't fail math, as I didn't really do any actual "studying" for the test. I'm also a bit surprised that I didn't get a higher score on Language Arts, but I think I finished each test with 30+ minutes remaining, and it should be noted that those percentile ranks are derived using a normative sample consisting of individuals who are at least two years older than I am. I also somewhat regret not reviewing my responses before submitting the test on the sections other than math, but at least I passed.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Congratulations, viktor! I'm proud of you for completing your high school requirements. You did well on all of the sections, and are able to identify something that you might be able to improve on in future opportunities, both important points. Now is a good time to reflect on how you might take these accomplishments into further growing as a human being.

Again, you did well!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM