Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    E
    Online Content
    E
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    One of our teachers, an English teacher, actually, just posted a virtual speed cubing challenge to the high schoolers via their broadcast journalism news broadcast
    What a coinkydink! Speedcubing seems to be one of the ‘nerd-ish’ activities which impresses most people. DS carried his speedcube everywhere for years and people would stare as he did his sub10 or one handed solves. (ETA: an advantage of speedcubing is that practice can be done entirely in otherwise wasted gaps of time such as commuting, waiting at the shops, accompanying parents on errands, so it’s a great boredom reliever and also doesn’t take up valuable time when the child should/could be doing necessary/important activities).

Their school’s PDH/PE dept posted an assignment on Fri requiring students to learn a new physical skill. DD12 decided she would learn to juggle and has been practising all weekend. She can now juggle three balls - thanks YouTube!

Last edited by Eagle Mum; 05/10/20 03:14 PM.
    E
    Online Content
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    ...our very small contribution to the main topic: overheard younger DC FTing friend while working on a GoogleDoc story together...apparently their respective characters/alter egos are a cookie and a glass of milk?
    That sounds like a very, very interesting story. laugh

Kids do seem to like to give each other food nicknames. In upper primary, DCs and their BFs gave each other some cute ones like ‘chocolate’ & ‘milkshake’ as well.

E
    Online Content
    E
    Originally Posted by greenlotus
    Well, DD pulled me aside last night to share that she had figured out what percentage of Medusa's weight was her snakes. She had done some research on local Greek snakes, women's body mass......

Please, I hope that this leads to a good job some day.
    In an ideal world, such delightfully curious minds who make the efforts to learn, analyse & creatively problem solve ought to be either leading innovative research or shaping our nations. They would certainly be great assets in a future impacted by climate change and resource draw down - we just have to somehow turn around the current rat race to the bottom.

Last edited by Eagle Mum; 05/10/20 05:01 PM.
    E
    Online Content
    E
    Is your DC into music composition as well?

The digital age is fantastic because software now exists so that the composer can hear their pieces immediately played on the computer, but because DS's pieces are technically difficult, it takes a lot of practice before he performs them as well as he would like (he sometimes shares with us what he thinks would be a perfect chord progression that he'll omit because it's not physically amenable). I am really hoping that he does eventually upload this work to his Youtube channel, but he's a perfectionist & the current standards he now sets for himself are ridiculously high (he was inspired by Jarrod Radnich but is sometimes even critical of his works!), so he's abandoned & deleted many manuscripts into which he'd invested considerable time. Hitting the 'delete' button is like torching the manuscript. I do think it's a shame but I refrain from interfering.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Has your DC considered multitracking into GarageBand or similar? He could divide parts written for two hands into more hands (or the equivalent for his instrument), or play it slower and speed it up. Even more fun, try writing orchestrations that articulate the challenging parts into multiple instruments. One of my DCs has a similar issue with composing music that requires a great deal of practice to perform, and has found that writing orchestrations allows additional musical elements to emerge from one's head.

Also, he would not be the first composer to write music that was technically too difficult for himself to play. Robert Schumann, as you likely know, damaged his hands trying to "stretch" his span, which is why he was extremely fortunate that his wife Clara was an even more talented pianist than he was, and could perform his works. It's a not unheard of opinion among critics that Rachmaninoff (as skilled a pianist as he was) was not the best interpreter of his own works.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    Online Content
    E
    Your DC sounds very talented. So far, mine has confined himself to solo piano compositions because until now, it has been the only instrument he can play, although (speaking of random activities), two weeks ago, he picked up his older sister’s abandoned guitar & tuned it up to teach himself to play. He’s decided that the string instruments would be much more versatile for exploring harmonics & intends to use the guitar as a stepping stone to the violin (at which DH is quite proficient).

I have previously suggested that he should compose for multiple instrument voices but I think writing solos currently reflects his general preference to do things solo, but it’s a good suggestion, thanks!

E
    Online Content
    E
    Oh, I get it - multitrack recording would enable him to be the solo player of multiple voices. Possibly he’ll bite, but I think he’s currently a purist who would want to be able to perform the whole composition without digital enhancement.

Sorry Greenlotus, the last post was also in reply to Aeh.

A
    A
    In the last few weeks, DC8 has:

- Made a political collage of the heads of heads of state flubbing covid responses
    - Taught himself a useless programming language (coffeescript) as a gateway to others
    - Taken up poetry writing
    - Begun a creative writing project that blends satirical character study and irreverent dialogue (Pythons would be proud)
    - Become engrossed in the history of various communist regimes and...local fungi!
    - Built a distance running training plan and, surprisingly, is sticking to it
    - Watched an ungodly amount of Colbert, SNL, and South Park (expurgated)

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That is quite a fun little list, aquinas! I am particularly impressed at the running plan and his follow-through (possibly because that would require the most delayed gratification for me!).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Agreed, aeh! I'll cop to providing incentives for the running - it's on equipment in the basement, so he has to earn his screen time with exercise...

He watches his junk tv while running. wink

And, I'm usually exercising in parallel, so there's a competitive angle to it as well.

(Mothers are sneaky beasts!)

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM