Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I question recognized achievements.

Well of course! The vast majority of admissions committees do not. For every regeneron finalist there are dozens and dozens of kids who are adept at self-promotion/hyperbole/fraud...you can draw the line wherever you like. In case you haven’t read about it, at some competitive high schools, it is now a thing for parents and students to report other classmates who have embellished their records/transcripts. Sometimes to the school admin/counselors, and sometimes to the colleges where students have already been admitted. I haven’t heard of this at our own school (well, the embellishments, of course, the calling out stuff, no) but it would not surprise me at all.

Welcome to competitive college admissions.

W
    W
    It is a private school and knowing the guidance counsellor, he probably knew. Counsellors have their favorites and this kid was super personalable. And he did have some other stuff that was real and great accommplishments. But no different than some of the stuff I see on college confidential.

Embellish is a gray word. You have to really know what your accusation is when it is gray.

I
    I
    Adding a link to the thread athletic recruitment in the General Discussion Forum, for future readers who may be seeking that type of information here in the College Forum.

W
    W
    I am on the email list of a couple of college consultants, free stuff. I check out the articles. They said that the schools check the clicks a student makes checking out a school. How many virtual tours they take (how many do you need?) How much you click other stuff, not sure how much other stuff to click, but I thought that was a pretty bizarre thing to keep data on. Anyone else heard that?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes. It's a measure of student engagement/student interest, so they can target marketing to the highest yield recruits.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Yes, certainly.

Though not all schools use this kind of tracking- I think there is some way to determine if a specific school does, perhaps in the common data set or somewhere, I’m not sure, because my kids could not force themselves to participate in that kind of nonsense, so we pretended it didn’t matter😉.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM