Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Our younger DD was diagnosed with anxiety a few years back, but as we live overseas, we have not been able to address the situation medically. When the virus hit, we flew back to the states to wait it out.

So I wonder - should we take advantage of this time to do a med trial? DD is more anxious due to the world wide health situation. I go back and forth on whether this is the right time to try this yet when we go back to our expat life, we won't even have the option.

C
    C
    I would certainly consider it- but would suggest seeing if you can find a health care professional with whom you and she can work. It sounds like you might benefit from exploring the pros and cons, and having someone who knows (and is known by) your daughter might really help and make decisions easier. For what it’s worth, you may be able to find someone who is willing to work with you remotely (at least part of the time) as far as managing dose, potential side effects, etc.

Our DD was helped tremendously with medication for anxiety- though we (unfortunately) weren’t able to address it until it was fairly debilitating. After a short time on meds, she was finally capable of working effectively on non-medical aspects of handling/coping with her anxiety. She previously was stubbornly resistant and just unable to find the mental space for that kind of work, if that makes sense. She subsequently learned meditation, and other techniques and has found significant relief. I believe she will always have an anxious personality, but having the tools to manage has allowed her to function at a high level and be successful; I am not sure she could have learned or accessed these tools without the initial help of medication.

Good luck- it can be such a challenging problem for a kid/family to manage.

Last edited by cricket3; 03/30/20 01:26 PM.
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Update: due to the corona virus, doctors can now work across state borders and write scripts as well for people in other locations. We were happy to work with DD's previous psych who put DD on a trial run of anti-anxiety meds. I will be curious how this plays out for DD as she is not facing her usual anxiety provoking situations (crowds, school). She took her first dose today.

P
    P
    Good luck greenlotus - I am wishing you and DD all the best in the meds trial. Anxiety is a beast to live with. Here's hoping she finds the support and relief that allows her to be the self she wants to be. Hugs to you and both DDs in these strange times.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh good to hear there's been at least this positive. Best to you and your DD.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you all so much. Absolutely amazing in the midst of this that we have been able to work out a good situation for DD. I understand that her meds will take awhile to reach full affect, but we have not seen any negative side affects so far.
    Again, thank you all for your support! I wish everyone well.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM