Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    Not getting the human value part. Yes, everyone has worth but that is aside from the hunger of the connectiveness that we seek as humans. DH was a true intellectual, one of those that went deep and had a fact file like an encyclopedia, liked finding his peers that he could discuss deep. Now I am visually spatial, curious like a monkey, great strategist but I gather info to get the full picture, I go deep when I need to understand something, my intelligence is more about understanding things better. Predicting outcomes, not by tarot, but analyzing the picture. As a strategist. We were actually very balanced together, but he would seek his kind and I gravitated towards adventure in mine. I loved to pick his brain and understand things more, once I connected with a topic. I think we need to find places where we thrive with our type of intellectual differences and sometimes it can be we find someone like minded, or totally opposite but find an outlet the makes us thrive in the way we think. Although I think my way of thinking can be totally annoying because you get this internal itch when something doesn't feel right and then you have to research to tell people why the facts don't add up. Though that could be out of boredom. Like a few weeks ago, BIL, who was way up in Fed govt where they know things like historical flu epidemics. Highly educated. Mentioned that Spanish flu 1918 killed young people in mass numbers. And yes it did. But not 40-60 year olds. I did not accept this as normal, so I dig. Find out the flu started in soldier camp in AL, and all these young American soldiers, 1 million of them, took the flu to Spain and why so many 20-40 year olds died. You are in a trench in WW1 with flu, you are going to die even if you are young. That kind of investigative, strategy visual spatial thing is different than the intellectual fact collecting PG and how they relate to others and what they seek from others is different. In my opinion.

I
    I
    This thought has stayed with me for months... almost a year, in fact.
    So when I came across this again today I was amazed and just thought I would quote it.
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    ...there is a significant skewing to deep ethical concern for all people of the world, a great propensity for humanitarian thinking

This inclination to humanitarianism is actually a common trait in gifted children, often listed among various identifying characteristics for the gifted, and is alternately described as: "advanced moral reasoning", "well developed sense of justice", "moral sensitivity", "advanced ability to think about such abstract ideas as justice and fairness", "empathy", "compassion". Links to lists of gifted characteristics include several articles on the Davidson Database here and here, SENG (Silverman), SENG (Lovecky).

A
    A
    You might like Evernote. It acts like a shelf of notebooks, and you can embed alarms and calendar-linked reminders in your notes. OneNote is similar, but not free.

Like anything, note taking is a habit. Maybe make a list of things you often forget and build an algorithm or standard form that you can append your different calendar entries. You might have a handful of “types” of note lists. These don’t have to be grand: they can be a 3-item checklist, or a template for names and contact info, Then it’s plug and play!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    A key lesson for me has been present-mindedness: to appreciate the journey, and not obsess about the destination. Intuitive, long-range thinkers can easily see beyond the here and now, and foresee the implications of our actions (or inactions). When there is a humanitarian lens, that foresight can be daunting, because it is impossible for any one individual to remedy all suffering in the world. No destination is ever truly final or sufficient.

It is a humbling lesson: to strive to surpass our limits, yet to accept that the ideal can never truly be reached, and remain satisfied and hopeful on the journey with that knowledge. It’s a delicate balance. For this reason, I’ve learned that our connectedness with others, through shared values and action, is where we can reach our highest potential. Like aeh, my faith tradition informs my passion. I wake each day grateful for the gifts I have been given, with an intuitive knowledge that they will bear most fruit if they are given away for the benefit of many.

It took a long time to get here. I was also treated - and allowed myself to be treated - as a trophy by various people through my youth, for my seeming Swiss-army-knife abilities, and it required a conscious re-think on status-based achievement vs value-based achievement. The gifted are not a superhuman sub-species, and I think we do great damage to ourselves and our children when we insinuate anything to that effect. (I am not pointing fingers at anyone here; that is a general observation from my own lived experience.)

So for me: present-mindedness and prioritizing achievement that creates societal value are the skills I’d flag for myself.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM