Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #246914 03/04/20 04:45 PM
    Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Hello everyone ! My baby girl is 18m ! She can read all letters , she can count from 1 to 10 , she can say months ,name all animals and sounds ! She can repeat almost everything you say !Is it normal for this age or it’s some kind of giftedness? 🧐

Yanaz #246915 03/04/20 04:58 PM
    M
    M
    Hi Yanaz!

What an engaged little person you seem to have. It sounds like she is certainly advanced in developing speech and interaction with you.

When my youngest daughter was this age her speech became less clear, I was worried there was a problem with her tongue or hearing. I took her to the speech therapist and they laughed and laughed and said “she’s not supposed to be talking like that really, this is advanced, she’s not going backwards”. Which perhaps gives you some perspective on expectations of speech at 18 months. Note: I then went to the ENT, her ears were blocked and as soon as she could hear better, her speech clarified again).

Many children who are gifted do show advanced development at this age. The wonderful thing is that for now you don’t have to do anything other than keep on interacting with her and supporting her for a few years yet. If it happens that she’s very advanced when heading to school that can be tricky and cause for some careful planning. But you’ve have some time to just enjoy learning together.

Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    😊👍🏻 very funny story😀
    I have two more children (10y and 13y) and they were not so advanced, but my DS10 is identified as HGA

Yanaz #246917 03/04/20 08:23 PM
    I
    I
    Hi Yanaz, your kiddo's development is not typical or common, but it is normal (as opposed to abnormal).

You may have found the following information and links to resources elsewhere on the forum, but just-in-case you have not... and for the benefit of future readers... I am posting this list here in response to your question.

Identification of gifted is not always easy or clear-cut. Especially early on. If you are interested in reading lists of early behavior characteristics and milestones, and comparing them with your own child's development, these links may be helpful:
    - Characteristics of intellectually advanced young people
    - Parenting Gifted Preschoolers
    - NAGC's list borrowed from the book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children
    ((The first item on the NAGC list of Common Characteristics of Gifted Individuals is: Unusual alertness, even in infancy)).
    - Characteristics and Behaviors of the Gifted
    - Characteristics checklist for gifted children
    -Tips for Parents: Helping Parents Understand Their Profoundly Gifted Children
    - Profiles of the gifted and talented which lists 6 different types, categorized by personality/temperament and achievement
    - Bertie Kingore, Ph.D.: High Achieving, Gifted Learner, Creative Thinker? (hat tip to sanne)
    - A common trait in gifted children, often listed amongst identifying characteristics, is alternately described as: "advanced moral reasoning", "well developed sense of justice", "moral sensitivity", "advanced ability to think about such abstract ideas as justice and fairness", "empathy", "compassion". Links to lists of gifted characteristics include several articles on the Davidson Database here and here, SENG (Silverman), SENG (Lovecky).
    - ages at which gifted children may reach developmental milestones
    - thread about Early Milestones - what do they mean?
    - SENG video: The Misdiagnosis of Gifted Children
    - book: Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults
    - old post with link to article comparing gifted characteristics and ASD characteristics
    - post with checklist comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to BananaGirl)
    - post with link to Gifted Resource Center of New England (GRCNE) article comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to Nolepharm).

Wishing you all the best with your little one; she may keep you on your toes!
    smile

indigo #246918 03/04/20 09:04 PM
    Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Thank you so much 👍🏻

Yanaz #246919 03/05/20 12:45 AM
    M
    M
    Hi Yanaz, if you have older children and at least one is identified as gifted this increases the probability that a sibling with advanced development may later indeed prove to be gifted. It may be helpful for you to keep some notes on any milestones or incidents that strike you as notable, as you may be asked some years later for examples if a psychological assessment is needed for school placement etc.

Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Ok! Good to know !🤔 Thank you ! 🙂

Yanaz #246921 03/05/20 03:09 AM
    I
    I
    I just popped in to suggest that you begin to keep documentation of your observations and experiences... as you may need to extract pertinent details from your records, for future advocacy.

LOL, you already know.
    Yes, GREAT advice from MumOfThree!
    smile

indigo #246923 03/05/20 08:29 AM
    Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    I will 👍🏻

Yanaz #246924 03/06/20 07:27 AM
    M
    M
    Good advice on the notes. When our son was born someone gave us a book to track milestones, birthdays special events. It was fun to fill out as time went on.

Get ready to answer a million questions and get funny/interesting looks from people who over hear your conversations with the little on.

Try not to get too hung up on labels, just enjoy this time.

You are in the right place here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM