Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #246862 02/25/20 12:52 PM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    My DD who has ADHD and mild anxiety was just tested at school for her IEP reevaluation. WISC V yielded FSIQ of 121, VCI 133, VSI 97, FRI 121, WMI 115 and PSI 103. Previous testing nearly 4 years prior, she had a VSI of 114. My question is, if she had scored a VSI of 114 this time instead of 97, and other scores remained the same, how much would that increase her FSIQ? Her Standard score for block design was an 8.

I
    I
    Welcome, kweinvienna! smile

Sorry for the delay in noticing this post...! The first 5 posts are usually held for moderation, to ensure they are not generated by spam bots, and therefore posts do not appear immediately.

This looks like a question that maybe only aeh could answer...
    smile

J
    J
    Of the two VSI sub-tests, only Block Design counts towards FSIQ, Visual Puzzles do not. Therefore, it depends where the difference was; if Block Design was higher on the old test then the FSIQ would go up. However, based on my very non-expert estimate, it would still be in the 120's range.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    jolip is correct. It depends on what the basis of the VSI of 114 was, with only her BD score contributing to global composites (FSIQ, GAI). Was her previous BD score similar to this one? Also, did anything else change? Since it's possible to obtain an insignificantly different (in this case, Average) BD score from the recent one and still obtain a VSI of 114, it's difficult to say without other information. That would still suggest that the other VSI subtest was high, though, and more comparable to her VCI and FRI. (E.g., her VP subtest is obviously in the upper end of Average as it is. Was it higher last time?)

Age can also impact performance, as, at some point, obtaining a really high score on BD requires time bonus points. So if your DC is near the top of the age-norms for the WISC-V, vs having some headroom three years ago, working not-quickly (e.g., Average PSI) might flatten the BD score a bit.

I think, if you feel comfortable, this discussion would be easier with a little more information regarding both her past and her present testing.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM