Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academyís online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 214 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Flying Fish, wctran, LeonieKappel, kseerla, Vate
    10735 Registered Users
    April
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30
    Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
    Topic Options
    #246522 - 01/01/20 10:56 AM Re: Middle school math [Re: sunnyday]
    Portia Offline

Thank you for the update! It sounds like things overall have been going well.

I find the teacher's openness about your son's math ability quite refreshing. Clearly, they are trying to offer him something a bit more appropriate based on what they can offer. Would they be open to AoPS? If he is really MIT/CalTech caliber, then AoPS is a good math curriculum as it is designed for mathy students. However, be aware that the format they use does not work well for all mathy students (i.e if it doesn't take with your child, it is nothing against the child, but a format/distribution mismatch).

#246523 - 01/01/20 12:46 PM Re: Middle school math [Re: sunnyday]
    sunnyday Offline

The teacher is a great guy, clearly a gifted adult himself. So much about the way his brain works reminds me of my children, but especially my son. smile

DS loved Alcumus when he used to play with it in fourth and fifth grade. He's always wanted to "dive in" and "break his brain" rather than to be taught with too much explicit detail, and he is really enjoying MOEMS. I think it would be a really good fit.

I'm just worried about negotiating with the school to be awarded high school credit. When I asked back in sixth grade if we could consider online options as an alternative to school classes, the counselor directed me to choose only from already-approved and accredited programs listed by the state. I worry it would be an uphill battle to try to get AOPS accepted.

I also wonder if any other math-talented kids have made school math work for them. Maybe I'm borrowing trouble by trying to find alternatives? Maybe if he just can get through the non-rigorous stuff now, he can fill in his own gaps when he finally gets access to more-rigorous instruction at the university level? He's good with math and problem solving, but his current passions are more around circuitry and coding, so he's much less likely to explore it on his own right now, and maybe I shouldn't push it?

#246524 - 01/01/20 02:44 PM Re: Middle school math [Re: sunnyday]
    Portia Offline

I would at least try, personally. But then again, I homeschool because I did not work well with the administration.

For those that have been successful getting AoPS approved, the following concerns were the big hurdles:
    When - the classes are outside of normal school hours. Rather than sit through the math class in school, he could work on the problems/homework during that time and take the class when he would normally be doing homework in the evening.

Support - Technical support may be needed to access the AoPS website. But math support is provided by AoPS through the messageboard (which is well done in our experience).

Content - AoPS can be shorted and still get a good grade. In particular, if one were to only do the online assignments, there is a tremendous amount of depth that is missed (my opinion). The book provides a number of additional problems as exercises, review problems and challenge problems which are very challenging and add a deeper dimension than can be achieved with just the class. If they are concerned about content, let them review the syllabus (usually much more in depth than the school's) and if they are still concerned, make an agreement he does a few of the problems from the book. However, make sure he is not given all the odds or evens and then graded on a 90% scale as the problems are extremely difficult and thought provoking. The way we do it is DS attempts all the problems once on his own. We identify the ones he misses so he reworks. If he is stuck, he is given a hint based on the solutions manual. Some may argue that is not a true grade, but the purpose of homework is to help learn. Again, these problems are extremely hard (but achievable and a good stretch). So before grades go on record for anything out of the book, do a trial run to make sure you have fair representation. Also, if you use the book, DEFINITELY buy the solutions manual.

#246526 - 01/01/20 04:48 PM Re: Middle school math [Re: Portia]
    sunnyday Offline

Thanks for the tips! One thing I was considering was to try Counting & Probability over the summer and see how he gets on. Either online for the accountability, or just working through the books with an agreed-upon schedule to make sure that we actually make progress through it.

The flipped classroom could be a good model if we go with this. He really prefers to get his homework done during study hall or class time.

#246613 - 01/16/20 04:48 PM Re: Middle school math [Re: sunnyday]
    Yanaz Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
    Hello!
    Is anyone familiar with a program called IHP at Walter Reed Middle school (LAUSD) ? My son is in the HGA program (99.7 on NNAT3 test ) Iím thinking about this program for him !
    How complicated is the entrance exam? How big is competition to get to this program ?
    Any suggestions or advice please !
    Thanks

#246615 - 01/16/20 08:40 PM Re: Middle school math [Re: sunnyday]
    Yanaz Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
    Hello everyone !
    Is anyone familiar with a program called IHP at Walter Reed Middle school (LAUSD) ? My DS10 is in the HGA program (99.7 on NNAT3 test ) Iím thinking about this program for him !
    How complicated is the entrance exam? How big is competition to get to this program ?
    Any suggestions or advice please !
    Thanks

#246787 - 02/12/20 08:53 PM Re: Middle school math [Re: sunnyday]
    JudAU Offline

DS10 is enjoying CTY Honors Prealgebra. She had worked through a basic prealgebra and algebra book and that was probably needed to jump into it. She skipped 4th grade math, took 5th in fourth, was supposed to take a consolidated class that got her to prealgebra 6th/algebra 7th. But her teacher is so weak, they move at a snailís pace, and top off it the prealgebra teacher next year is extremely rigorous. The teacher was constantly on Facebook and gave two pages of homework a week.

The class is very well structured and I can recommend wholeheartedly.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Anxiety in the time of the virus
    by aeh
    Today at 06:47 AM
    Need guidance: math placement in middle school
    by Yanaz
    Yesterday at 04:16 PM
    Gifted Adults - applying genius to many endeavors
    by indigo
    Yesterday at 12:30 AM
    ADHD lower scores on WISC Verbal (or others)?
    by aeh
    03/31/20 01:11 PM
    Questioning test results before additional testing
    by aeh
    03/31/20 01:05 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter