Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    Kish Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    We've wanted to wait long enough and atleast until we really think it's absolutely necessary for a comprehensive testing for DD6.

The last few weeks have been a roller coaster for us. DD's anxiety has been increasing (I have a separate thread on this). She's also indicating her lack of interest in class and mix that up with the anxiety bouts, and it's becoming more challenging.

We are still considering our immediate options - advocating in the current school, different traditional school, reading up on parenting strategies in managing the anxiety bouts - but beyond all this, we are seeking clarity for ourselves to help understand her better, and to help understand what educational method might be better for her. Would she be 2E (which is likely) and if yes, what kind(s) and how do we help her as she grows up. And so on.

We live in the East Coast and are also looking to shortlist potential Gifted + 2E assessment centers that we could plan for testing if/when we decide we must.

I looked up the list at the Hoagies site, but some of them have had mixed reviews in other forums and not everyone seems to specialize in 2E.

Would you have any suggested centers? I've heard/read a lot about Gifted Development Center in CO. If that's really as good as claimed to be, we wouldn't mind the travel at all.

If you live in the East Coast and have tested your kid, could you recommend me where you tested? Or if you know about centers like GDC or others who can assess 2E as well - could you please suggest?

A
    A
    We made the trip out to Denver from The Carolinas last Thanksgiving. Between the flying, renting a car, room, and of course testing, it was a pretty penny; HOWEVER, it was worth every penny.

They will meet with you over the phone or Skype ahead of your visit and answer many questions ahead of the trip. They can and will advise which tests to give, and of course you can take them up on their recommendations or not. After the two or three day visit (in our case about 4 hours a day for three), you'll get an extensive report and consultation.

As many have attested already, your kid will probably love the experience. Mine wants to return next year.

We had ours tested locally ahead of time. When the tester didn't "see any reason to do extended tests", we realized most testers in our area either don't understand ceilings, or don't really see the point in finding one.

My wife and I are in a discussion with her current school over some of comments in the report Dr. Silverman and Dr. Miller wrote. The report is probably the most extensive profile her school administrators have ever seen, and has become a learning experience for them aswell.

Feel free to PM me if any question

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    We did not have our 2E son tested at the GDC, but I did speak to Bobbie Gilman on the phone about him and the scores obtained in an assessment by the local school psychologist.

This happened 16 years ago and I can now say that that phone call altered the trajectory of his life. The school psychologist had diagnosed him as "just slow" and as maybe having ADHD and/or Asperger's. Ms. Gilman took my claim that he was gifted seriously and pointed us in the direction of various forms of help.

It turns out that he is HGish with dyslexia. No ADHD and no Asperger's. In the intervening years, he graduated from our homeschool, got a degree in engineering from a selective university, and is now working as a robotics engineer. If we had continued under the assumption that he was "just slow," he would never had reached his potential.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Should also mention that CTY at Johns Hopkins offers evaluations too, and explicitly mention that they see quite a few 2e learners.
    https://cty.jhu.edu/counseling/services/psycho-education.html

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM