Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Hoping someone can help me understand my daughter's WPPSI-IV test results (for private school).
    VCI - 120
    VSI - 103
    FRI - 117
    WMI - 87
    PSI - 139
    FSIQ - 125

I am trying to understand the big discrepancy between her working memory (19th percentile) and processing speed (99.5 percentile). How can I best help improve her working memory? I never noticed an issue with her short term memory. Thank you!

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Welcome!

First of all, it is important to remember that she is very young, and may not yet be demonstrating her skills in a consistent manner. Early testing should generally be considered somewhat of an approximation, due to the high variability of performance and development in young children.

Secondly, I would start from her real-life function. If you aren't seeing concerns with her memory and attention, then I wouldn't expend too much worry on a score on one particular day and test.

Thirdly, there are currently no well-validated methods for actually changing working memory in a generalized way. (There are some computerized tools that apparently can improve your ability to remember...exactly what they train you on, such as number sequences, but it doesn't appear to transfer to any other kind of working memory, even remembering something very similar, like letter sequences. You will occasionally see these marketed as research-based, which is, I suppose, technically true, but somewhat misleading.) Of course, it is often possible to learn more effective strategies for remembering things, but these are generally pattern- or association-based. Meaningful, in other words, not techniques that change the underlying working memory span.

Otherwise, her scores look very strong all around (outside of WMI), with verbal and nonverbal reasoning moderately strong, and processing speed exceptionally strong.

Also, the working memory tasks on the WPPSI are strongly visual-spatial in nature, and may or may not accurately represent the working memory of a child with a particular slant toward another modality. There is, as well, a distinction between short term memory and working memory. Short-term memory is more or less rote. Working memory involves the possibility of mental manipulations of information stored in short term memory.

Short answer: start from your IRL observations of your child. If you nor anyone else are reporting concerns, then it will be time enough to be concerned if and when they are actually raised.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM