Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (1 invisible), 0 Guests and 278 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Cyriopagopus, georgeevans, microsteris, meditatebody, racheltaylor
    10695 Registered Users
    February
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Page 262 of 262 < 1 2 ... 260 261 262
    Topic Options
    #246336 - 11/20/19 12:55 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Old Dad Offline

My eldest just let me know he's entering an MBA program after the first of the year. In and of itself, that's not a huge thing among this group, however, he already has completed an undergrand degree in both a BS in Electrical Engineering this last spring and a BS in Physics previously. He's already doing wonderfully in a very large engineering consulting company, with the addition of the MBA to his already strong knowledge base I see a very bright future. The company he works for will pay for the MBA so long as he stays at the company for at least 2 years after he attains it. As they have branches all over the country, that should be doable.

While all of that is wonderful, what I'm proud of isn't the knowledge he's gained but rather a few other achievements.

1. He's come to understand that sometimes, you just have to do whatever it takes to get the job done. If that means pulling an all nighter, so be it.
    2. He no longer has any delusions of the world being fair and it bothers him little when it's not toward him, he still pushes for it for others. He understands that his success ultimately is dependent upon himself, not the world around him.
    3. He's found an intellectual equal who is also an extremely hard worker, accomplished academically, athletically, and quickly becoming so professionally, in her mind failure is never an option Probably part of her upbringing in Russia....and he married her. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with an undergrad in Accountancy and earned her Masters in the same in one additional year.

These two are dangerous together....in a good way.

#246339 - 11/20/19 08:32 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Old Dad]
    indigo Offline

It appears that you raised a fine son; job well done! Let the happiness ensue.
    smile

Thank you for sharing this happy and inspiring news.

#246647 - 01/20/20 06:30 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Tigerle Offline

Loc: Europe
    Our city runs a community youth choir that has a national reputation, or rather the middle school and high school sections do, both of which recruit strictly by audition only. DD9 is in the free for all pre-choir for 6 to 10 yo, and doesn’t like to sing at home, so since she hasn’t had to audition for anything yet, I had no idea whether she was any good or not, but she likes going, and her best friend goes, so.

The other day I came in a bit early to pick her up. The director is fine with the parents sitting in on any part of the rehearsal in the back of the auditorium as long as they move quietly, so I simply walked in, with my eyes on my phone. I look up, and there is my shy little DD9, who has a hard time speaking up for something like ordering ice cream, up on the stage by herself, singing 6 or 7 verses of her absolutely favourite song ever, “Far over the Misty Mountains cold” from the hobbit movie, for something like 30 kids and as many parents, clear as a bell and pitch perfect. You could have heard a pin drop. (Did you even know there are something like 10 verses? They are not in the movie, but apparently they’re on YouTube).

I was melting into a puddle. I wish I could have taken a video for DH, but I couldn’t get it together in time.

#246648 - 01/20/20 06:52 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Portia Offline

I love these.

Old Dad - congratulations on a job well done with your son. The accomplishments you listed out are definitely worthy of the pride.

Tigerle - isn't it amazing how they can surprise us in so many ways.

#246651 - 01/20/20 09:09 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Tigerle]
    aeh Offline

That is absolutely heart-melting, tigerle! And it gives you a glimpse of the future when her confidence will have come to the surface.

Edited by aeh (01/20/20 09:10 AM)
    Edit Reason: series of typos

#246652 - 01/20/20 09:23 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Irena Offline

Aeh, I PMed you.

#246662 - 01/21/20 03:50 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    philly103 Offline

I never write in here because our stuff seems so mundane in this online environment (one of the things I like about it) but I really liked this one.

At DS(now)6's school, parents come in and read on their child's birthday. It's normal selection of kid's stories. DS6 asked his mom to come in and read the 2020 National Geographic Almanac entry on the Big Bang and the Milky Way. He kept interrupting the reading to try and teach his classmates stuff. Then since there was time left in the session, he decided he would read to his class instead of having his mom do it.

For something more "brag" worthy, last year he beat my wife in chess. He knows the game better than her so he kept giving her advice that let him take her pieces. She caught on but by then she had dropped enough material that he could win on his own.

The winning isn't special, she's new to the game. I just love that he worked on tricking her and was subtle enough that he wasn't caught immediately.

#246663 - 01/21/20 05:54 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: philly103]
    aeh Offline

Both stories are extremely adorable! I'm sure his mom knows she has many, many more years of this to look forward to. smile

#246664 - 01/21/20 08:42 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: aeh]
    philly103 Offline

Thanks aeh! She knows and she's always joking that she has to stay on her toes with him, while she can sleepwalk and deal with me, lol.

Page 262 of 262 < 1 2 ... 260 261 262

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Verbal Stregth vs Math/Spatial
    by MumOfThree
    Yesterday at 04:56 PM
    Teacher certified in gifted ?
    by Old Dad
    Yesterday at 02:10 PM
    Testing in East Coast and your views on GDC CO
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 11:56 AM