Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks Ashley. I will definitely start by getting hold of 7th and 8th math books the school uses. I will also look into the enrichment programs you mention. Thank you indigo, there is a lot to digest there. I will go through the links you reference. I feel better already knowing I have a few things to do for my homework. Thanks to everyone.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Kai
    Originally Posted by Confusedmommy
    How can I convince the school that she is ready for more without coming across as just another pushy parent? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Perhaps if you had her complete an above level class at another school and presented them with the evidence, they would be more responsive? This is essentially what we did when my son entered 9th grade at the public high school after homeschooling, and they actually placed him properly--honors precalculus, which is considered two years ahead of average in our district. I expect would have balked at a three year acceleration since he would have "run out" of math courses to do at the school for [color=black]how to measure ring size[/color]

Could you homeschool her just for math? In some states it is possible to enroll part time in public school. We are doing for some subjects (not math), and it's working well.

I also wanted to mention that at my son's school, gifted students get no special consideration unless the parent pushes. They won't even admit that gifted students are eligible for certain things (like placement in AP classes early or without prerequisites). We got that information from other parents.

you can to change of shool

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM