Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #246329 11/19/19 12:58 PM
    G
    gam3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    My kid took WISC-V before but due to low memory, FSIQ is not that high compared to GAI. We would like to take SB-5 (stanford binet) but cannot find psychologist in my area. Do you know anyone who offer SB-5?

Northern California is the best, but we are willing to travel. Thank you.

I
    I
    Is there any specific reason why you are seeking the SB5 test?

There are several reasons NOT to seek the SB5 test, including:
    - SB5 is an older test.
    - Other IQ tests have been developed, normed, and are in use.
    - The SB5 results are widely known to reflect the Flynn Effect.
    - Unfortunately, there are many opportunities to become exposed to SB5 questions through unethical "test preps," resulting in an inflated score which will not help you to better understand your child's relative strengths/weaknesses, or obtain the best academic/intellectual "fit."

Reliable test prep information includes:
    - Aimee Yermish's article, (2002) Hoagies' Gifted Education Page.
    - Nadia Webb's article, (2006) Davidson Database.
    Originally Posted by Nadia Webb article
    It is standard among all of the psychologists who regularly test HG and PG kids, to start the subtests above their chronological age. It keeps the testing from being tedious or seen as patronizing.
    Beginning with questions above chronological age may be seen as one important difference from the Yermish article which describes the test as beginning with easy questions (the kind which many describe as inspiring kids to give silly answers, negatively impacting their performance score).

This is not to detract from Aimee's article, as the purpose of the article is for parents to prepare children for what to expect during testing... even if a tester is choosing questions which are above chronological age, they may be seen by an HG or PG child as "easy"... therefore it may be wise to prepare a child that they may receive easy questions with obvious answers... so they can decide ahead of time not to be too silly if this occurs.

Hoagies Gifted Education Page has information which may be helpful as a starting point for locating a psychologist to administer an IQ test.

A
    A
    I didn't realize the SB-5 was outdated. Seems to be the one of choice in my area for psychologists.

If you think your child is gifted, and most parents recognize whether they are, it's worth the few extra bucks to travel to Denver to visit The Gifted Development Center for a full rundown. Not only can they diagnose, but can offer advice on what to do with the attained scores.

I
    I
    Maybe dated, not necessarily outdated.

SB5, released about 2003... WISC-V, released about 2014... they measure slightly different aspects of intelligence.

Selection may depend upon the reasons why a specific test instrument is wanted. In my observation and experience, a psychologist's reasons for choosing a specific test instrument may be more reliable/credible/sound than a newbie parent's reasons for requesting administration of a specific test instrument.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM