Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 253 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Flying Fish, wctran, LeonieKappel, kseerla, Vate
    10735 Registered Users
    April
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30
    Topic Options
    #246501 - 12/25/19 06:04 AM A peculiar mode of being!
    Klangedin Offline

Hey! Remember me? I wrote in this squadron a while back about my situation with schizophrenia, giftedness and the peculiarities of my situation.

News on my front is that I've got almost no medication (Dr supervision of course) "Yey me" and that it's been moving ahead!

There is a strange situation that is related to giftedness that happened when weened of my medications that I think is very interesting..

I seem to have an extreme ability to be at the right place at the right time.. No booked time or initiative or anything, nobody talking about anything, I just know when to show up and the person/people I'm supposed to meet are there..

Mind I'm aware that it could be approaching "magical thinking" that can be included in SF but it's not..

Is this a common element with gifted individuals? What I feel should be normal is a calendar and such but I seem to have achieved my own inner sense of "being in the right place" that I don't if it's real.

Perhaps its a distinct approach from where I live but it doesn't seem like this type of ability comes easily..

My defense of this in the testing arena is that I achieved a picture arrangement score of 135 (17) and that I've done a complex planing task that points in the same direction!

Additionally I have a spatial short term memory score in the 99% and spatial working memory in the same range... It's like I can predict the process to a great degree.. I don't even know what I'm involved in!?

#246502 - 12/25/19 03:51 PM Re: A peculiar mode of being! [Re: Klangedin]
    Flyingmouse Offline

I’d recommend discussing this with your doctor.

#246503 - 12/25/19 04:58 PM Re: A peculiar mode of being! [Re: Klangedin]
    aeh Offline

Nice to hear from you, KI! And it's good to hear that you're making progress on a lower dose of your meds. I would agree with FM, though, that this would be something to discuss with your doctor. It's difficult to reality-test the kind of experience you are reporting, and your regular careprovider is in a much better position to tease out what this perception means than we are out here in internet-land.

#246505 - 12/25/19 10:36 PM Re: A peculiar mode of being! [Re: Klangedin]
    Klangedin Offline

I must say I'm disappointed...

#246508 - 12/26/19 10:45 AM Re: A peculiar mode of being! [Re: Klangedin]
    aeh Offline

No need to be disappointed. You are reporting that you are healthier overall, and whatever the reason for the phenomenon you are perceiving, the experienced outcome is that you are meeting up with people that you want to see, and who want to see you, and presumably having positive, pleasant encounters with them in those moments.

This is not a small thing.

#246509 - 12/28/19 05:51 PM Re: A peculiar mode of being! [Re: Klangedin]
    indigo Offline

Originally Posted By: Klangedin
    ... an extreme ability to be at the right place at the right time...
    Is this a common element with gifted individuals?
    ... can predict the process to a great degree...
    You've received great replies above. I'll just add two quick thoughts:

1) I see this synchronicity frequently in Hallmark movies, where events are choreographed and conversations scripted to achieve happy endings after basic life lessons are gently learned. Although these movies may be somewhat formulaic and predictable, the characters are not living in a panacea and therefore experience occasional setbacks and misunderstandings... followed by personal reflection and growth.

2) It is my understanding that in real life this phenomenon of synchronicity may be experienced more often by individuals with a gifted intellectual profile, to the degree that they may be quick to observe and predict patterns, make connections between ideas, see parallels with other concepts, and recognize opportunity as it unfolds, in real time, while it is being presented. In other words, they may be somewhat less likely to realize belatedly that they coulda-woulda-shoulda maximized opportunity which they let slip away.

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    College admissions notes
    by Wren
    04/08/20 09:52 AM
    Need guidance: math placement in middle school
    by Yanaz
    04/07/20 10:55 PM
    John Hopkins CTY Program
    by JudAU
    04/07/20 07:28 PM
    See World While Social Distancing, Virtual Tours!
    by indigo
    04/07/20 09:05 AM
    Anxiety in the time of the virus
    by greenlotus
    04/05/20 12:49 PM
    Davidson Institute Twitter