Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    ThatMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hello,

My son is 7.5 years old and in 2nd grade. He has been diagnosed with SPD. He has been going to OT for 8 months and have seen great strides. He is very bright, but we have not tested him yet. He is doing well in school this year for the most part, but he has trouble with certain aspects. His teacher is very nice, but I can tell she does not see what I see because he struggles with focus. If I read a math word problem to him, for example, he will blurt out the answer without writing anything down. If he has to read it, he struggles to even focus on it. He can read well and does not have dyslexia. I introduced multiplication one evening verbally and he could answer correctly 2 dozen problems. Last night, we introduced percentage and he could answer correctly repeatedly on the drive home. He has never had either. He grasps concepts very fast. But in class he struggles with doing the work. He gets distracted or his numbers are not legible and not lined up correctly. I met with his teacher and she sees him as just having trouble completing the work. She does not see the side we see at home. He does not qualify for IEP and am wondering about another option. I want to make sure he is shining through his challenges.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

Apologies for the delay in anyone responding. It sometimes takes a bit for new posters to wind through moderation.

Given that he has a diagnosis of SPD, receives OT, has teacher-documented struggles with work completion and focus, and has not been evaluated (at school or elsewhere?), how has it been established that he does not qualify for an IEP? Not that special education is the only solution, or even necessarily the most appropriate one, but I am curious about where this conclusion came from.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    T
    T
    Who diagnosed him with SPD? Just an OT evaluation? Is the school saying he is not qualified for an IEP just because he is not behind grade level?

I would pursue a psych-educational or neuropsych evaluation at this point (school based or private). You will have a better idea why he struggles so much at school.

Last edited by Thomas Percy; 01/02/20 10:05 AM.
    I
    I
    You've received great responses above. smile

I'll just add that schools may not always have or share the best or most accurate information.
    You may need to develop strong background knowledge on IEPs and advocacy.

The Wrightslaw website is the go-to source for information concerning special education.
    Here is a link to the Wrightslaw IEP FAQ index page:
    https://www.wrightslaw.com/info/iep.index.htm

Parents with BTDT experience are a reliable source of information on effective advocacy.
    Here is a crowd-sourced list of links and resources, created by parents on this forum:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....y_Advocacy_as_a_Non_Newt.html#Post183916

T
    ThatMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks everyone!! Sorry it took awhile for me to get back here. Yes, the school evaluated him and he is doing too well to qualify for IEP. I did speak with the counselor and she did think he would qualify for a 504 plan. We are going to look for ways to support him. He has been working very hard and I see improvement along the way.

OT did conclude the SPD diagnosis, but it correlated with his pediatricians thoughts. He was diagnosed as low tone as a small child. We have implemented so many things along the way and the progress has been substantial. His teacher thinks he has a very high IQ and grasps and discusses concepts beyond his years. I hope the 504 plan will give him the support he needs!

Thanks again everyone. You thoughts and resources are very appreciated.

Thank you for the idea about visual processing! I will look into it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM