Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #246461 12/12/19 05:06 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    In the process of getting my elementary moderately gifted child tested for a SLD in Written Expression and it sounds like he took the TOWL-4 today. He said that he was asked to write a sentence that incorporates a certain word. (E.g.: For ‘ran’, he would write, “I ran up the hill.”) He hates writing (of course) so he excitedly tells me that for about "1/4" of the words he was given he wrote as his sentence: "What does [word given] mean?" He described as a way to "exploit" the system. LOL. My husband was pretty upset. I was actually happy because this is what I think needs to be captured/assessed - not just just his poor writing mechanics but he problems with actual written expression. I am assuming that was not a correct way to answer those type of questions and points will be taken off, correct?

Last edited by Irena; 12/12/19 05:07 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The test you're describing sounds more like the WIAT-III than the TOWL-4, if that's most of what he did. In any case, the appropriate prompt to those types of responses is to request that the child write another sentence, using the word in a different (more meaningful) way. If that was not done, then the score is invalid anyway, and any points deducted or not deducted are irrelevant.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by aeh
    The test you're describing sounds more like the WIAT-III than the TOWL-4, if that's most of what he did. In any case, the appropriate prompt to those types of responses is to request that the child write another sentence, using the word in a different (more meaningful) way. If that was not done, then the score is invalid anyway, and any points deducted or not deducted are irrelevant.

Oh interesting. He said he actually asked the tester if he could do that as an answer and she said she could not tell him that. Hmmm, yeah I am not entirely sure it was the TOWL as I was not there. It was a part of a number of writing tasks he had and I know they are giving him the TOWL.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I will say the example sentence sounds like the TOWL, and if you were told specifically that it would be given, there’s not much reason to give another, similar test. Regardless, one is not typically supposed to accept answers that simply quote the word, which is what all his responses did. These are essentially the same as, “‘Word’ is a word.” Which doesn’t meet the task objectives. Well, actually, that one does! But if the stimulus word were anything else, it wouldn’t.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM