Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #246388 12/03/19 04:59 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I know someone who was on their science olympiad team. In DD's school, there are kids that go to worlds in chemistry olympiad or math plympiad. Are they separate organizations? It seems science olympiad is all teams. In DD's school you can do each of the sciences olympiad, so you specialize in physics or chemistry or math etc.

Wren #246389 12/03/19 06:42 AM
    C
    C
    As far as I know, they are all unrelated, though I really only have expeience with science olympiad, so cant speak definitively on the others.

Science Olympiad is only a US organization (though they have teams in Japan and have had some participation in the US national tournament by Japanese teams). One of the main aspects of science olympiad is that it is designed as a team competition. Team members compete in various events, which can entail any area(s) of science; most kids end up doing between 3-5 events, there are 15 team members. The events are specifically designed to require two or three students per event, working together. The success of a team is dependent on how the participants do in about 25 different events, so collaboration and communication, and lots and lots of teamwork are usually required for teams to do well. The teamwork aspect is really what made this activity different, and rewarding for my kids, as compared to other competition opportunities they had (they are not fond of competing, or the hyper-competitive mindset that can come with it, but really enjoyed the camaraderie and finding their people).

I know the other olympiads have teams, but in my limited understanding the competitions function more like the AMC team portion, where scores are added together, but students don’t necessarily work together as a team- but I may be wrong on this (no direct experience).

Wren #246396 12/03/19 01:59 PM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Kids from dd's school aren't on a team. They compete individually in subject specific. And if they do well, they can compete at Worlds. I just know this one boy went to the chemistry olypiad in Europe a couple of years ago.
    Though I think they started a junior science olymiad that is a team.

Wren #246397 12/03/19 02:22 PM
    C
    C
    Yes, the subject-specific Olympiads are totally different.
    The events in science Olympiad are more specific science topics, and many involve some building/engineering aspect; most have some testing involving application of knowledge and problem-solving, even events that are primarily a written exam (some events are exam-style, some building engineering devices and some are lab or inquiry-based).

The individual Olympiads I am aware of are mainly knowledge-exams as far as I know, and not the same at all, not the same organization. If you google there is a lot of stuff online about science Olympiad, and about the others, too (at least there is for the physics one, the only one I have ever looked at).

Last edited by cricket3; 12/03/19 02:25 PM.
    Wren #246403 12/04/19 09:21 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I did google it since I posted. But I was not sure if they were related at all. It seems very popular to do the subject specifics ones in Toronto.

Wren #246455 12/12/19 05:33 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    In DD's school there is an international Junior Science Olympiad. They went to Qatar to compete. That is a team, but again, not the same as the US science olympiads, I think. Although whoever wins nationals, do they go to Internationals? because it is now. Which is a strange time to have internationals.

Wren #246456 12/12/19 09:59 AM
    C
    C
    They are different organizations, completely different type of competitions. As far as I know, there is no international component to the science olympiad, aside from the participation of a Japanese team as a sort of ambassador team. The US-based science olympiad competitions basically run through the typical us school calendar, with the national tournament in late May or sometimes early June. As far as I know (our team has not won nationals during our tenure) the competition ends after nationals; the winning teams get the honor and admiration of their co-competitors, and often many event winners are offered scholarships or prizes from the host university and/or sponsoring companies or organizations (such as NOAA, the CDC, etc).

I’m not familiar with the junior science olympiad, but from my brief search, it appears to be very different, more akin to the subject-specific competitions.

In case this helps, here are a couple links to science olympiad (the US competition) sites.

https://www.soinc.org/

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

https://www.scienceolympiad2020.com/

Wren #246521 12/31/19 10:21 PM
    Y
    Y
    What is your Favorite sport?
    I like Badminton...Lightweight badminton rackets are highly recommended for beginners. They should weigh between 85g to 89g (3U) as such rackets are usually easier to control.

Lightweight rackets also allow for quick stroking speeds and recovery. You will be able to deliver quick serves and switch to different strokes easily. Lightweight rackets are also easier on the wrist and shoulders, reducing the chances of injuries Best Badminton Rackets 2020.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM