Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #246418 12/06/19 11:20 AM
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I'm not really feeling fulfilled. My job responsibilities have lessened a bit and now I am kind of just bored. I am a teacher and I used to have more courses to teach, but now I have gifted IEPs to write. They're not really GIEPs, but they're just paperwork to push so that we look like we're doing what we need to do. For various reasons, I would lose my job if I were to push for gifted services for students and the students aren't self-advocating and neither are the families. I've been taking courses so I can get other certifications.... but my psychologist thinks I have unused potential and I could get a PhD and teach in college. I'm not ready to do that yet since it's expensive and I'm not sure what job would be available at that point.

P
    P
    Professor jobs are nearly impossible to find now; most colleges are just hiring adjuncts, who sometimes work for subminimum wage. A PhD program is a lot of work and commitment if you're doing it without a clear goal, or if you're doing it because of the concept of "reaching your potential" (which I think is a harmful idea that leads a lot of people to make choices based on perceived prestige and not based on what they actually find fulfilling).

If you're not enjoying your current work, it does sound like a change is in order, though. There are a lot of books about how to find fulfilling work (the most popular one seems to be What Color Is Your Parachute); have you checked out any of them?

A
    A
    I agree with pinewood in regards to doing a PhD on a whim. I have just started mine and it has to be something you're passionate about. In this case it's not just about intelligence, but also tenacity and obsession 😁

Maybe a career change is in order. What interests do you have that you can pursue as a career with study?

H
    H
    I have a family member who got multiple advanced degrees due to a similar need to use their talents. It was expensive. Was it worth it? That is probably not a question I can answer for them, personally, but I would lean toward not being worth it, especially for the family, as a whole.

I would caution against spending all that money without a clear plan. The challenge of the coursework might make you happy for a time, but does it make sense for you and your family long term?

Another option not mentioned yet is pursuing something on the side. Pursue a hobby passionately? Create a gifted summer camp? Get involved running a charity that means something to you? (I can say that these can be like a part-time job and many need good people.) Change school districts? Go into industry instead?

Last edited by howdy; 12/10/19 09:40 AM.
    P
    P
    I spent 30 years trying to be fulfilled through work. It was a waste of time and energy. Try and find fulfillment outside work. If you can afford it and there is something that fascinates you then by all means do a PhD but not to get a fulfilling job - only if doing it would be fulfilling.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM