Hi,
My name is Mira. My son started in the self contained gifted programm in 1st grade this year.
On the Parent meet teacher nite, we were informed, that the teacher who was supposed to to come in, quit her job due to emergency family problems.
We would ahve a gr8 sub till they find a new teacher.
1st day of school, the sub is a retired teacher, who never taught gifted classes n didn't seem intested at all. looked like she wanted to get rid of the class/ quit asap.
this went for a week. middle of week they told us they found a teacher. she was a3rd grade teacher, has been home since 5yrs. had some courses in bag(not sure for gifted, but may work towards it).
She comes in, very nice, .
we give her time to get organized. so on. curriculum night, she had no idea about how to taech the curriculum, was unable to answer any qs from parents reg how ill she handle it.
OH! did i for get to mention this wasa K/1 combo class tooooooooo.

We give her time, ask her if she needs help.
but a month later , all i see my son doing is reg end of the year K classwork. she still has no idea how to to teach gifted class.
We met with the teacher n the director of gifted in our Dist, they say they r aware of it n r wotking towards it. I somehow don't c her going there.
Only 2 more schools have the gifted 1st grade class n they r full n the director is not ready to transfer us too.
Now I don;t know what to do?
We were glad that my son got in, he will be given the good education he deserves , but now we r in a fix!Pls help or give us some advice about this.

“The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.”
Sven Goran Eriksson