Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academyís online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    2 registered (pinewood1, Pabulum), 0 Guests and 231 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Eric Johnson, cmh, bethanyc3, SageC, AmandaParkinson
    10658 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    Page 262 of 262 < 1 2 ... 260 261 262
    Topic Options
    #246326 - 11/19/19 06:48 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    frannieandejsmom Offline

Loc: somewhere out there
    ds13, 8th grade, is a finalist for his school's google science fair project. His project was determining how fidgets impacted a student's and this around him. He tested in an IC classroom.

#246328 - 11/19/19 11:30 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: frannieandejsmom]
    aeh Offline

Cool! What were his findings?

#246330 - 11/19/19 01:03 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    frannieandejsmom Offline

Loc: somewhere out there
    Im not sure lol.. I haven't seen his project. Its all online. Im hoping he will show it to me.

#246331 - 11/19/19 07:32 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    JudAU Offline

What a great thread. I donít know why Iíve never seen it.

My brag for this week is DS12 entered a new gifted middle school with a long carpool of (other) gifted kids. Watching them marvel about needing to study things for the first time and sharing tips was awesome. He still has As but they are lower and require work. I love it.

He took a proctored practice SAT and got just under a 1400. This week the new school uses an interim assessment for the annual state test. He has had perfect score for three years put the interim provides the full score which was almost 10% above perfect.

But finally, and my proudest moment, a kid was so jealous of his arrival in the program that he sent around A VERY sexually explicit story to 28 kids in their class with a lot of gay themes etc. about my son and the friend he thought he was losing because my nerd son is so cool. 5 kids told their parents, 5 parents told the school, and he was kicked out of the program within 48 hours and before I even knew. And DS (after I explained what was written) was laughing about the grammar and metaphors in the story within an hour. No damage.

#246336 - 11/20/19 12:55 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Old Dad Offline

My eldest just let me know he's entering an MBA program after the first of the year. In and of itself, that's not a huge thing among this group, however, he already has completed an undergrand degree in both a BS in Electrical Engineering this last spring and a BS in Physics previously. He's already doing wonderfully in a very large engineering consulting company, with the addition of the MBA to his already strong knowledge base I see a very bright future. The company he works for will pay for the MBA so long as he stays at the company for at least 2 years after he attains it. As they have branches all over the country, that should be doable.

While all of that is wonderful, what I'm proud of isn't the knowledge he's gained but rather a few other achievements.

1. He's come to understand that sometimes, you just have to do whatever it takes to get the job done. If that means pulling an all nighter, so be it.
    2. He no longer has any delusions of the world being fair and it bothers him little when it's not toward him, he still pushes for it for others. He understands that his success ultimately is dependent upon himself, not the world around him.
    3. He's found an intellectual equal who is also an extremely hard worker, accomplished academically, athletically, and quickly becoming so professionally, in her mind failure is never an option Probably part of her upbringing in Russia....and he married her. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with an undergrad in Accountancy and earned her Masters in the same in one additional year.

These two are dangerous together....in a good way.

#246339 - 11/20/19 08:32 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Old Dad]
    indigo Offline

It appears that you raised a fine son; job well done! Let the happiness ensue.
    smile

Thank you for sharing this happy and inspiring news.

Page 262 of 262 < 1 2 ... 260 261 262

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    What did you do with your Pre-K/K child?
    by Alannc44
    Today at 05:06 AM
    A Bit Overwhelmed - Just Starting Out
    by Portia
    Yesterday at 06:09 PM
    Please help with WISC-V scores and ADHD.
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 04:44 PM
    2e? IEP help for 5 year old please
    by polarbear
    Yesterday at 03:17 PM
    nonfiction books for middle schooler
    by Platypus101
    Yesterday at 04:35 AM
    Davidson Institute Twitter