Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 149 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    I keep thinking college is the same as our university. You go after high school and for the same reason. Then I read these threads and realise that they are not the same. No help really.

Me too! I am now thoroughly confused having read this thread.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Wren
    https://www.timeshighereducation.co...-worlds-top-30-universities-for-teaching

did you see this?

Harvard, Stanford, Caltech, MIT, Cambridge top 5 according to the rankings
    The article is dated 1990... nearly 30 years ago.
    The article states that by changing date criteria, 2013-2014 ratings are available... that is still 5 years ago.
    2019 rankings here. 2019 rankings by "teaching," top five[/color][/b], top ten:
    [b][color:#003300]1. CalTech (USA)
    2. Stanford (USA)
    3. University of Cambridge (UK)
    4. MIT (USA)
    5. University of Oxford (UK)
    6. Yale (USA)
    7. U of Chicago (USA)
    8. Harvard (USA)
    9. Princeton (USA)
    10.Peking University (China)

Clicking through the article's links to view the methodology shows the following:
    Our 13 performance indicators are grouped into five areas:

Teaching: the learning environment (worth 30 per cent of the overall ranking score)
    Research: volume, income and reputation (worth 30 per cent)
    Citations: research influence (worth 30 per cent)
    Industry income: innovation (worth 2.5 per cent)
    International outlook: staff, students and research (worth 7.5 per cent).

Exclusions

Universities are excluded from the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
    if they do not teach undergraduates;
    if they teach only a single narrow subject; or
    if their research output amounted to fewer than 1,000 articles between 2008 and 2012 (200 a year)
    If there is a more recent webpage describing their methodology, I have not found it yet.

T
    T
    I keep thinking college is the same as our university. You go after high school and for the same reason. Then I read these threads and realise that they are not the same. No help really.

Why differences have you detected? I have no idea! They still sounded like the same things to me.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by tigerhog

Why differences have you detected? I have no idea! They still sounded like the same things to me.

Originally Posted by cricket3
    That is an interesting list, but it is for world-ranked universities, so doesn’t include colleges or smaller universities

For those of us in other countries that believed that your "college" = our "university" (which I have always believed), this comment suggests that you have both colleges and universities and that leaves me wondering what IS college? An extra 4 years of boarding school after highschool but before university?

There was another post with a particular emphasis that also seemed to suggest college was not equal to university... but now that I am replying I can't see the thread to find it.

W
    W
    [/quote] The article is dated 1990... nearly 30 years ago.
    The article states that by changing date criteria, 2013-2014 ratings are available... that is still 5 years ago.
    2019 rankings [url=https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2019/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/st[/quote]

My apologie on the faux pas. I did not check the date.

But the composite of criteria is part of what we look for. And, as a CDN, who lived in the US for 30 years, my view is that Americans tend to say college when they mean a post secondary institution, whether it is a small liberal arts college or a large university. It appeared to me that it used to refer to a degree granting institution, but the lines have blurred and even community colleges are referred to as going to college. In Canada, they say university. College means community college. Here, there is no difference anymore.

I think the rankings are interesting in 2 things: input and output.

A third kind of input data used by USNWR concerns student selectivity. Some of these measures indicate how capable or prepared the students are when they enter a college or university: entering student scores on SAT or ACT tests and the percentage of students graduating in the top 10 percent of their high school class. Perhaps these measures are useful for a student choosing a college; high achievement students may want to keep company with other high achievement students. But such measures are a backwards approach to assessing the quality of learning at a college: Colleges are ranked higher insofar as they start with students who have already learned more.

Outcomes. The USNWR annual rankings do make use of one kind of outcome measure: graduation and graduation rates. They measure what percentage of an institution's first year students return for a second year, and what percentage of students graduate within six years. I believe these measures are the best aspect of the USNWR rankings. But, I also believe retention and graduation rates are a very primitive outcome measure: They beg the question of whether, and what, students have actually learned.

W
    W
    Also, NSSE, is from a student perspective

http://nsse.indiana.edu/html/annual_results.cfm

C
    C
    Quick caveat- this is my opinion only, based upon our experiences- if others have more knowledge, please share- we had specific goals in our DDs college search (we did not explore extremely large universities, for example).

The quick/simplistic answer, as far as I understand it, is that colleges don’t have graduate students or programs. So by definition, one of, if not the main goal, is the education of undergraduate students. Many, but not all, have as a secondary goal more of a broad view of education and therefore may have core classes or distribution requirements, theoretically ensuring that their graduates are more well-roundedly educated while still requiring a major area of concentration.

This can get really murky, however, in that many (?most) universities have colleges within them, some of which have separate admissions, some of which do not, some allow students to take classes enrolled in one college to take classes in all the colleges and to transfer if their major/plans change, some are more restrictive. Even within specific disciplines, we found there to be a lot of variability in this structure.

Because our DD still has several areas of interest and hasn’t decided on a definitive direction yet, we avoided those schools which required admission to very specific programs or schools, as they didn’t have the flexibility she wanted.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    For those of us in other countries that believed that your "college" = our "university" (which I have always believed), this comment suggests that you have both colleges and universities and that leaves me wondering what IS college? An extra 4 years of boarding school after highschool but before university?

There was another post with a particular emphasis that also seemed to suggest college was not equal to university... but now that I am replying I can't see the thread to find it.

This webpage from CollegRank.Net may help explain the differences between college and university:
    What Is The Difference Between College and University?

I'm aware of colleges becoming universities... with much press, fanfare, and celebratory events... usually after faculty reaching a RESEARCH milestone.

For undergrad work, conventional wisdom was: attend a college which is focused on developing and investing in its students, rather than a research university which is focused on developing and investing in itself. Depending upon what one is studying, I can see either approach/strategy as helpful.

I
    I
    Fresh new press release -
    UCLA is No. 1 public college in 2020 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education ranking
    Rebecca Kendall
    UCLA Newsroom
    September 4, 2019

Originally Posted by article
    ...of the more than 800 public and private institutions that were assessed, UCLA placed fifth among all public and private colleges in the area of environment, No. 11 overall in the engagement category, No. 16 in terms of outcomes, and No. 25 overall.

The rankings focus on student success and learning in four key areas: student resources, student engagement, educational outcomes and learning environments. The results are based on data from the Times Higher Education U.S. Student Survey, which collected the opinions of more than 170,000 current university students, government data sources and findings from the Times Higher Education Academic Reputation Survey.

key area. . . . . . . . . . . UCLA ranking
    (learning) environment(s) . . . 5
    (student) engagement . . . . . 11
    (educational) outcomes . . . . 16
    student resources . . . . . . . . .?
    overall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25

I
    I
    Another system for rating/ranking:
    Carnegie Classification of Higher Education Institutions classifies universities into Tiers based on their research potential.

Links for information on Carnegie Classifications:

1) Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education
    Center for Postsecondary Research
    Indiana University
    School Of Education

2) wikipedia - Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM