Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 274 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    cmh, bethanyc3, SageC, AmandaParkinson, yp44
    10657 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    Topic Options
    #246291 - 11/06/19 05:26 PM Ways ASD shows up in testing
    MumOfThree Offline

Loc: Australia
    Does anyone know if there are studies about ways ASD may show through in achievement testing, specifically in this case with particular "feel" of writing in the WIAT essay? I would be interested in any sorts of patterns or features of results associated with ASD in both WISC and WIAT tests (or other tests which are not specifically being used to assess ASD) that may be of note to an assessor. And of course particularly in relation to the gifted child.

Edited by MumOfThree (11/06/19 05:28 PM)

#246293 - 11/06/19 06:56 PM Re: Ways ASD shows up in testing [Re: MumOfThree]
    aeh Offline

Caveat: these are my anecdotal clinical observations over years of experience, not necessarily based on a deep, sturdy, objectively sampled and analyzed data set.

That being said, I find that learners on the autistic spectrum often do struggle with the open-ended nature of the essay, especially with certain aspects (not necessarily every aspect in every individual), including idea generation, organization, elaboration, and the personal narrative qualities of the prompt. GT students (and 2e GT/ASD even more so) sometimes get hung up on the absolute factual accuracy of the essay.

I did find this research reference (it's a meta-analysis, so you can poke through the citations, too):
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29164435

Edited by aeh (11/06/19 06:58 PM)

#246302 - 11/10/19 10:27 PM Re: Ways ASD shows up in testing [Re: MumOfThree]
    MumOfThree Offline

Loc: Australia
    Thanks AEH, so in this case the child scored 4th percentile for handwritten essay and 99th percentile for a second typed essay. Clearly many things went well with the essay. The suggestion that something about the essay implied ASD is fuzzy, clearly far fuzzier than what can be captured by the standardized scoring system of an academic test. Is perhaps related to drawing the reader in (or not), ie forging social connections... Perhaps that is captured by "personal narrative qualities of the prompt".

This is an observation I have not ever heard before with relation to this sort of testing so I am quite intrigued.

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    undergrad degree variability
    by Kai
    Today at 05:24 PM
    SAT scores, Intelligence and Achievement
    by Bostonian
    Yesterday at 01:37 PM
    Binet LM
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:33 PM
    Olympiads question