Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Aeh, So I asked the school to write it up as the KTEA-3 Form B, instead of the KTEA-Brief, so that it would become an acceptable piece of documentation for the PSATS/SATs in 11th grade

and the response was:

"It would be unethical for us to document the assessment (KTEA-Brief) as anything other than its actual name in reporting results. DS is due for a re-evaluation in the spring. The re-evaluation report would be your best documentation of DS's disability and that, in conjunction with the IEP, is what you would use to request accommodations for the College Board testing. At GVHS, we have staff that can assist you in requesting the accommodations when that time comes.

The middle school psychologist is ______-who I have copied on this email. She will issue a permission to re-evaluate Ben in the spring to get the re-evaluation process started.

Please let me know if you have any questions."

So did I ask them to do something "unethical?"

Last edited by Irena; 11/01/19 09:45 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    No. They probably just don't realize that the KTEA-Brief is identical to the KTEA-3 Form B. I'm guessing they've never had to submit documentation, which is probably good, in this case.

From the publisher's website:
    https://www.pearsonassessments.com/store/usassessments/en/Store/Professional-Assessments/Academic-Learning/Brief/Kaufman-Test-of-Educational-Achievement-%7C-Third-Edition-Brief-Form/p/100001342.html?tab=product-details#

"Standard scores from the KTEA-3 Brief may be used interchangeably with the subtest and composite standard scores from the Comprehensive Form."

https://support.pearson.com/usclinical/s/article/KTEA-3-Brief-vs-KTEA-3

"The KTEA-3 Brief subtests are identical to the core subtests from Comprehensive Form B. This spares examiners the time of readministering subtests during a comprehensive evaluation. Customers who own the Brief and Form A can alternate the two, reducing the likelihood that changes in the examinee's performance are due to familiarity with the item content."

But if he's going to have a comprehensive eval in the spring, with a complete battery, that will take care of the documentation well in advance of relevant College Board testing.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Incidentally, any idea why they did testing "in preparation for" a comprehensive reeval a year away? I assume they gave the KTEA-Brief to reduce validity concerns with re-testing in the spring (although technically, the minimum retest interval for achievement testing is six months). The achievement testing given on the -Brief is, as I mentioned, essentially the same as what you might see on a comprehensive eval. That's a lot of testing for a non-eval year.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Incidentally, any idea why they did testing "in preparation for" a comprehensive reeval a year away? I assume they gave the KTEA-Brief to reduce validity concerns with re-testing in the spring (although technically, the minimum retest interval for achievement testing is six months). The achievement testing given on the -Brief is, as I mentioned, essentially the same as what you might see on a comprehensive eval. That's a lot of testing for a non-eval year.

You know, I don't know. And they are not very forthcoming with information. But I do know they do the KTEA Brief every three years, I think, maybe two, I can't remember, "for all their kids with ieps." I think I was once told that it was so they (the school) could make sure the student is progressing. So maybe its a situation where they want to make sure ahead of time where the kid is? I just do not know . I will try to ask at the next meeting.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi Aeh, pm'ed you a quick question about standard deviation.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hello AEH, so another question (sorry!) Looks like there are three "written expression" assessments in the KTEA: spelling, written expression and writing fluency. Looks like they did not give him the writing fluency test. What is that assessment like? Why did they not give it to him? I am thinking because it is not part of the Brief Form? Should I ask them to give this test to him when he is re-evaluated in the spring? Thanks.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    WF is a measure of how quickly students can generate sentences of moderate complexity. It's not a core subtest even on the standard battery, but possibly would have had some relevance for him specifically.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM