Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #246252 10/29/19 09:45 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    In a state where gifted identification is mandatory. Student qualifies for gifted program/id based on IQ and achievement testing and then further qualifies for accelerated math track with SCAT testing. The math goals are written into the GIEP . What happens if student is not meeting the GIEP goals? I know the school needs to make sure the student is meeting needs-based IERP goals. But what happens when a validly identified gifted student isn't meeting the GIEP goals in his GIEP? What should or can be done?

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    He is supposed to get an “85% on the assessments/tests or rubrics” in the accelerated math class each semester. He isn’t scoring that. He’s not the only one. I know that not meeting goals in a needs-based IEP can be a problem (for the school) and a parent should definitely look into that and see why the goals are being met and if there isn’t enough support being given, etc. And then when we were talking about this in regards to the GIEP goalsI, I started wondering shouldn’t it be the same in a GIEP? When a child by his testing has been placed in an advanced math class and part of his GIP goals are to score a certain grade in that class, isn’t it a concern when kids are not doing that?

Last edited by Irena; 10/29/19 06:15 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh it's not my kiddo. It is someone else's. There is a lot of complaining about this teacher and she has been there for years. However, when I looked back my older kiddo did not always meet the goals either. But he is not in that class anymore and is in middle school and doing fine (in accelerated math). My younger child who is in the class is meeting the goals (for now!). But not everyone is. And we (a few parents) started about it and wondering maybe she is just never held accountable for not making sure her giep kiddos are meeting the GIEP goals? I mean, with a needs-based IEP not meeting goals can be a big deal. People have also pulled their kids out of the program entirely over it, I believe. But that seems a shame when it could the fault of the teacher.

Last edited by Irena; 10/30/19 10:49 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM