Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The school gave my older son parts of the KTEA-Brief in June in preparation for his re-evaluation this year (his special ed resource teacher administered the test). I had to request the scores this year because I was never sent them. In response to my request of the results of the testing, his current special ed teacher just sent me some numbers with the words "average" or "above average,"etc written next to the scores. Of course, this does not tell me much. So I asked for a more comprehensive report. In particular, I want the grade and age level equivalents as well as the percentiles. Current special ed teacher said she would have them to me later today. She just emailed again now saying, "In order to get you the age/grade equivalents, I need to get our test kit that has that information. Once I get that test kit, I can email you all the information that you requested."

First, I am just wondering, why wasn't this already done? How hard is it to plug the numbers into the software and get this? And, perhaps, the school psych should be the one preparing this? Anyway, just seemed off to me so if anyone here has any knowledge about this assessment and these issues, I welcome them.

Secondly, I am especially interested in the gap between his performance on the math and reading where he had what look like to me very high scores and the writing where, although labeled "average" looks quite low to me comparatively ... I am wondering if there is big gap between the age/grade/percentiles between the math/writing grade/age/percentile and the writing. Given that, should I be asking for in terms of a report, because a bunch of numbers with "average" and "above average" listed next to the numbers does not mean much to me.

Here are the scores in case anyone is familiar with and can help me with interpreting them:

Reading 127 Above Average
    Math 122 Above Average
    Writing 97 Average

Subtests:
    Letter & Word Recognition 123 Above average
    Reading Comprehension 126 Above average
    Math Computation 116 Above average
    Math Concepts & Application 125 Above average
    Written Expression 97 Average
    Spelling 100 Average

The scores were identified as "standard" scores.

Or, is just that this particular assessment just not very helpful and just does not give much info? I am assuming the "KTEA Brief" is different from the "KTEA-III?"

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Irena; 10/28/19 12:31 PM.
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    1. It wasn't already done because age/grade equivalents are not recommended measures for most deviation-based tests, such as the KTEA family. I know that lay readers often like these numbers, which is the main reason they continue to publish them, but I do have to emphasize that all of the major professional organizations that represent assessment specifically recommend avoiding them. (Not a neutral recommendation, but, "don't do it.") (There are some exceptions, but the KTEA is not one of them.)

You should, however, have percentiles. Those are exactly the same, mathematically, as the standard scores.

The difficulty of deriving the numbers depends on the resources available to the persons involved. I use webware to score, so I can get any number I want from pretty much any internet-enabled device. But that costs extra. For budgetary reasons, many districts use desktop-based scoring software, or even handscoring. In both of those situations, they would need access to a specific location or manual to obtain scores of any kind.

2. I agree that the math and reading scores are substantially higher than the written expression scores.

The KTEA Brief is exactly the same as the KTEA-3, but without some of the subtests. I.e., it consists of selected subtests from the KTEA-3.

I have another appointment right now, but if you don't get the percentiles, pm me, and I'll see what I can do.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    pm'd you.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    PM'd you again!

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    BTW, I was just looking up some info for another student, and noticed that College Board does not accept the KTEA-Brief as documentation for disability-based accommodations on their assessments (SAT/PSAT/AP).

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh, what does this mean for us? So, my son's school gives the KTEA Brief every three years as part of their "monitoring" progress of their students on IEPS (they also sue it for achievement testing for gifted program - they use it for everything it seems). So, the KTEA-Brief data collected every three years is used as "part" of eval/reeval, but it is not what they base eligibility or non-eligibility on, if that makes sense. But does what does "College Board does not accept the KTEA-Brief as documentation for disability-based accommodations on their assessments" mean for kids like my son? Should I be making sure something else is included in reeavluation to document his disability? His original finding of eligibility and his previous reevaluation actually used things like the PAL II and the OT assessments, ect. to find eligibility. He also has a medical diagnosis of dysgraphia and dyspraxia but we hgot that years ago. I wonder if I need to update that.

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    I'd probably start by asking who handles SSD applications for College Board in your DC's high school, and then ask if they have historically had to submit documentation. I've found that it's rare that someone who's had an accommodation for years needs to submit documentation.

Dysgraphia and dyspraxia are still Learning Disorders, under the College Board classifications, so updated documentation would require a more comprehensive battery (in this case, a few additional subtests), with achievement testing no more than five years old at the time the SSD application is being submitted. Cognitive testing can be more than five years old. IOW, for PSATs/SATs in 11th grade, he would need a comprehensive achievement battery administered no earlier than 6th grade. At least in the area of disability (written expression, in this case).

So the odd thing here is that, all of the subtests and composites given in your KTEA-Brief scores are exactly the same as if he had done the core subtests of the KTEA-3 Form B (this is an alternate form--same tasks, different items--that can be used for more frequent re-tests, to avoid the retest score invalidity effects that I've discussed in the past). If the school would write it up as the KTEA-3 Form B--to which it is actually identical (not approximately or virtually, but factually and literally identical), instead of the KTEA-Brief, it would become an acceptable piece of documentation.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh thanks! Do you think, then, that I could ask the school to write it up as the KTEA-3 Form B, instead of the KTEA-Brief, so that it would become an acceptable piece of documentation for the PSATS/SATs in 11th grade? Or would they balk at the request?

Last edited by Irena; 10/31/19 08:30 AM.
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    I don't see why that would be a problem. But if they've never had to submit documentation, it might not be an issue anyway.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Okay thanks! Yeah, probably not an issue but with the recent scandals and such with regard to accommodations on SATs ... well, who knows what will become an issue in this regard. But, okay, good to know! I will ask them about it - if it is easy enough to do then maybe just do it and that part is done whether needed or not. Thanks again. At the very least they will be taken aback by my "knowledge" on such issues and topics and be less likely to mess with me. heh heh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM